View Full Version : Diagnosing help; correct product
I would like some diagnosing assistance, please. Out of the Hap and Peacock mix of fish (10 fish) one is not looking at his best. The "Sunshine Peacock" is approaching 1 years of age as is the tank. For two weeks, scales are ruffled on both sides of the body and the side fins are degrading. His eyes are clear (normal) and he is eating. Flashing, yes, at times will seem to vibrate. He also has gotten bigger in the mid-section whereas in the past was more stream lined. In the first week I treated the tank with Seachem's Paraguard daily for five days. Then I had to go out of town. There really wasn't much improvement however, did not appear to get any worse. Additionally, treated on the 16th, a water change on 17th, then a treatment on the 18th. I am not sure if this is the right product or if treatment needs to be extended.
I have taken photos, http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/usnthem/Sick%20guy/
Water quality: (tank is 65H)
Test weekly: 0=AM, 0=NI, 15-20ppm=NA, pH=8.0
WC: every 5 - 7 days at 35%
Dechlorinator: Seachem's Prime
Thank you for your time,
Tech Support EH
It can be very difficult to diagnose fish disease. This is one reason why ParaGuard is a very effective medication. Because it is a broad spectrum drug, it will attack parasites, as well as taking care of any secondary bacterial or fungal infection that may occur. The symptoms that you have listed seem to me to show that there is more than one thing going on with your fish. As you know, flashing often indicates a parasitic infestation, even if the parasites are not visible to you. If there are parasites present, then the medication will work to eradicate them in all stages of the life cycle, and will also work as a prophylactic to prevent your other fish from exhibiting symptoms of disease.
Some of the other symptoms seem to indicate a bacterial infection(more specifically, dropsy). A fish with dropsy will seem very bloated, and the scales will tend to stick out from the body. My best guess is that your fish became immuno-compromised as a result of one disease, and thus was more prone to other infections.
I would probably continue treating with the ParaGuard, however, you will have to be very consistent with the treatment. ParaGuard does not build up in the water, and it will therefore never climb to toxic levels, as some other medications will tend to do. Treat very aggressively for at least 3 weeks(this is the life cycle of many parasites, including ich). As long as your fish are showing no signs of stress, you can continue dosing the medication until you feel that the peacock is well.
Thank you for your very informative and quick response.
I will stay on top of the Paragaurd treatments, I am dosing at 30ml, daily. It's a 65g tank, but with all the sand, rock displacement I figure 60g is more like it.
- Should I step up another 5ml or 10ml?
- As of last night, 18th Aug, the fish has stopped eating.
- All other fish are doing great, no signs of stress.
- Lastly, were you able to view the pictures at (I can take more if needed)
Tech Support EH
It is usually best to treat for the actual volume of water, at least as much as that is possible. I think that the 30mL is probably very appropriate, given the sand and rocks. Therefore, I would not suggest increasing the dose. I did look at the pictures, and it is still very hard to tell you exactly what is going on. Without the capability of doing a skin scrape and looking at the scales under a microscope, many times it is virtually impossible to get a specific diagnosis. Either way, I would stick with the ParaGuard, especially since the fish is no longer eating. I hope everything goes well and that the fish improves.
One other thought. Can 'stressguard' be administered at the same time as 'paraguard'? If yes, Is there a real benefit in doing so?
If not, would 'stressguard' prove beneficial at the end (3 weeks or so) of the 'paraguard' treatments?
Again, thank you for your assistance!!
Tech Support GL
You do not need to dose both StressGuard and ParaGuard. You can dose stressGuard after the treatment to help prevent infection in exposed areas on the fishes body if there are any.
Thanks so much for your replies.
To ease my concerns I have taken a few more pictures to assist with a diagnoses, and or perhaps step to another medication:
I am still on the ParaGuard treatments 30mL, daily. (4th day).
Do these latest set of pictures help?
The fish is not eating and breathing heavier than normal. I think on the upside his swimming appears normal, not darting mind you, but parrallel (not at an incline/decline).
All other fish are as normal can be. There is no aggression.
Hope this helps. Best reagards ~Michael
As of 15:00 CDT the fish passed away.
Next, should I continue treatment of ParaGuard or just monitor all remaining fish?
Thanks for your help,
Tech Support GL
I am sorry for your loss. Monitor the other fish and make sure to maintain good water quality- stable temperature, pH, hardness, 0 ammonia/nitrate and lower nitrate.
Thank you. No problems with water quality or changes (wkly).
Other on-line friends say the fish was stressed out from aggression. I am still not sure about that. I examined the fish, but could not determine parasites ( I am sure a micro scope would be needed for that).
Anyhow, thanks again and appreciate SeaChem for this forum.
Tech Support GL
You are welcome. If you have questions ask we are here to help. Typically the more information as soon as possible we get the better we can help.
I have a tropical community fish tank with live aquatic plants. My fish are Neon Tetras, Corydorys (Catfish), Shrimp, Snails and Runny Nose as well as a Beta male and his females.
I am working with a bio filter and added to that your Purigen.
After almost 2 years of having no problems at all I spottet today white spots on the fins and body of some of the fish. (Maybe the introduction of a new Beta female?). Also one Neon seems to be bloated with bulging eyes and a Beta female seems to have also a bloated belly. Fish are active and feeding normal.
I exchanged aprox. 15% of water today, added bacteria and increased temp to currently 82.4F.
I have purchased PolyGuard at the pet shop, but now I read not to use it with life plants unless with Focus. Why?
Tech Support EH
The reason that we suggest not using PolyGuard with live plants is because it contains some malachite green(albeit a very small amount). Some aquatic plants do not do well in the presence of malachite green. When using the PolyGuard in conjunction with the Focus, there is less medication just floating free in the water. Focus is a binding agent that will actually bind the medication to the food. Since your fish are all eating well, it is a very good idea to use the Focus as well. Also, be careful when medicating a tank that contains invertebrates, as some are very sensitive to medications. You may want to use 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dose of PolyGuard when you first start to make sure that all of your tank inhabitants are reacting positively to the medication. If quarantine is a possibility, this is always the best means of medicating.