PDA

View Full Version : Using Reef Builder?

p0k3
02-10-2010, 17:48
I'm new to the hobby and was wondering is a KH(Carbonate Hardness) test the proper test for using Reef Builder? I'm confused as to what kind of test kit I'm supposed to use to determine the correct amount of Reef Builder to add to my tank.

Tech Support DD
02-10-2010, 18:00
Welcome to the hobby :-) Yes, a KH test kit is the proper test kit for determining how much Reef Builder you will need to add.

p0k3
02-10-2010, 18:10
Thanks for the quick reply! One more question. I see online many places that natural seawater is about 2.1 to 2.5 meq/l with regards to alkalinity. Is alkalinity different than carbonate hardness? The reason I ask is because on the Reef Builder container it say's that alkalinity should be between 3-5. Why is it recommended higher than natural seawater conditions? Thanks in advance!

Tech Support LK
02-10-2010, 18:23
Alkalinity is different than Carbonate hardness depending on the situation. Alkalinity is a measure of all buffering capacity of the water and carbonate hardness is a primary buffer in most systems. However, alkalinity is a culmination of all buffering capability of the water (which can include carbonates, phosphates, borate, etc.). In an aquarium, you are dealing with a closed system vs. an open ocean and waste production has much more of a direct impact on the pH. We always recommend running a higher alkalinity in an aquarium because of this.