PDA

View Full Version : Flourish products - Filter and media (Purigen).... Compatible?

Bebu
04-29-2010, 15:55
Hello,

I recently got into the planted area of the hobby, and have ordered some of your plant supplements (Flourish: Excel, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium and substrate tabs). I've read on forums that during dosing the filter should be off (??), but there is little to no information on how long it should be shut, or even WHY.

I wanted to know if there was something I needed to be aware of when dosing, and if my media (bio balls, and Purigen) and the product will somehow interact or cancel each other?

Thanks in advance,

Bebu

Tech Support EH
04-29-2010, 16:38
Hello Bebu,
Thank you so much for your questions and also for trying out some of our planted supplements! This is a great question. We certainly understand that it would not be feasible to spend money on supplements, only to have them be removed by your filter. It is not, however, necessary to turn off your filter while dosing the products in the Flourish line, and there are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, the products in the Flourish line were designed in such a way that the plant cells recognize them and take them in almost immediately upon dosing. Therefore, they really don't linger in the water column for an extended period of time after being added to the water.

Purigen is a great substitute for carbon in a planted system. While carbons are generally indiscriminate in what they remove from the water, Purigen is very specific. Purigen is a very unique scavenging resin, meaning it has a particular affinity for and actively seeks out organic nitrogenous waste, thus leaving behind trace elements and other supplements in the water. A non-porous biological media, your bio-balls will not absorb or remove any of the supplements from the water, either. Therefore, it is really not necessary to turn off your filter while dosing any of the planted supplements. Please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a great evening!

Caperz
08-15-2012, 12:03
Gday,

I use Matrix, Wool Media and Purigen as my filter media.

I does my freshwater low-tech (no Co2), low light Planted tank with Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Great to discover that my purigen is not removing any of the trace elements.

How about the Matrix ?

Tech Support HK
08-15-2012, 12:06
Hi Caperz,

Matrix will not remove anything by itself. Matrix is simply a biological media that serves as a colonization site for your aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Therefore, only ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will be removed.

Caperz
08-15-2012, 12:07
Hi Caperz,

Matrix will not remove anything by itself. Matrix is simply a biological media that serves as a colonization site for your aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Therefore, only ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will be removed.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it !

Tech Support HK
08-15-2012, 12:08
You are very welcome!