Clear All

• cycling tank - seachem stability

hi there
    im currently using seachem stability to cycle my tank

so far I have used it for 8 days and have tested the water
    ammonia - 0.50ppm
    nitrite - 0ppm
    nitrate 0ppm

I currently have 5 neon tetras in there and am using some filter media from another restablished tank and seachem matrix, carbon and ceramic noodles

should I be making water changed to remove the ammonia?
    or should I wait till nitrites have developed and then do water changed?

Re: cycling tank - seachem stability

a small update
    I did a 50% water change in my 34litre tank
    ammonia is now just below 0.25ppm, everything else still the same
    should I continue using stability which is 1 capful per day until I see nitrates?
    and any other tips I should do to ensure that my fish survive during the cycling process.
    Last edited by At124; 02-14-2011, 05:23. Reason: wrong info

Comment

Thanks for the update!

It seems as if your tank is moving in the right direction. I would definitely continue adding the Stability daily until you see nitrates. As long as there is still ammonia and nitrites, then you can add Prime as needed in order to keep your fish safe from toxicity. You can also continue performing regular water changes, just be sure to add in Stability after the water change.

Comment

thanks for the quick response!
        I was also wondering whether removing carbon from my tank would make the cycle quicker?
        as in my filter, carbon is the 1st layer then the biological media at the bottom

Comment

I would leave the carbon in place for the cycling process. While it could help speed up the process a little, it could also hinder the process by damaging nearby bacteria colonies. I recommend doing small water changes when needed and dosing with Stability daily to cycle the tank. Dosing Seachem's Prime every 48 hours will help keep toxins detoxified and protect the fish throughout the cycling process.

Comment

so I should to do small water changes to keep ammonia no higher than 0.25ppm?
            how much nitrite would be max before I should start doing a water change?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tech Support MS;8982]I would leave the carbon in place for the cycling process. While it could help speed up the process a little, it could also hinder the process by damaging nearby bacteria colonies. I recommend doing small water changes when needed and dosing with Stability daily to cycle the tank. Dosing Seachem's Prime every 48 hours will help keep toxins detoxified and protect the fish throughout the cycling process.[/QUOTE]

I asked this because my carbon is currently in need of a replacement
              and I wanted to make sure that no good bacteria would be on the carbon if I dispose of it

Comment

Keeping the ammonia bellow 0.25 ppm should be fine, the main thing you are trying to do is protect them fish while cycling. That is why using Prime every 48 hours will be so helpful. It will keep ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate detoxified until the beneficial bacteria can consume them.

As for the carbon, removing bacterial cultures is exactly why I would leave it in for the time being. Once you see no ammonia and either low to no nitrite but your nitrates are rising you can add some fresh carbon.

Comment

*update
                  Ammonia - 0.25ppm ( been steady for the past 5 days)
                  Nitrite - 0ppm
                  Nitrate - 0ppm

I've been using Prime every 2 days

but I don't understand why there is still no nitrites\nitrates
                  does my tank have enough ammonia to change into nitrites?(should I add more fish?)
                  and since I am also using filter media from an established tank...shouldn't their some bacteria on that as well?

its been 3 weeks since I started the tank :(

Comment

also.
                    everyday that I use stability I shake the bottle
                    is this OK?

Comment

sorry for all the questions!
                      but I recently also just noticed something sticking to my tank heater
                      was wondering what it was?
                      Attached Files

Comment

today been getting a bad smell from the tank
                        I had originally thought that it was due to the ammonia but it is still at 0.25ppm
                        no sign of stress from fish

Comment

What test kits are you using to test your water? Do they have a reference you can run them against to ensure they are giving accurate results? Have you had your water tested with a different test kit, maybe at your LFS? Do you have an Ammonia Alert to place in your tank by chance?

As long as you are continuing to add the Prime, you fish will remain safe from toxicity. Shaking the Stability bottle is fine, but not necessary. Unfortunately, it is very hard to see anything with the pictures that you provided. Could you describe what it is that you are seeing on your heaters? Also, please describe the smell that you get from your tank. This will help us to troubleshoot these issues with you further. Thank you.

Comment

I am using API master test kit
                            I have checked the water at my LFS and they get almost the same results I get with my test kit(sometimes .05ppm give or take from ammonia)

I do not have ammonia alert and I am aware that my test kit isn't able to differentiate between toxic and non toxic ammonia

I will continue dosing prime every 2 days and stability every day

what I am seeing on the tank heater looks like brown algae although some seems to have come off with a water change

the smell from the tank is strong(smells like rotten eggs or a sewer)
                            I was wondering whether this could be due to my carbon?
                            and whether I should still do water changes since I am not using Prime anymore?

Comment

sorry I meant to say
                              and whether I should still do water changes since I am using Prime?

Comment

Working...
                              X