Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pH

Long time reader....first time writer.
    After giving up the hobby 5 years ago, I decided to jump back in with a new 125 gallon freshwater tank. I have a Fluval FX4 filter, 2 Fluval E 300 heaters set to 78 degrees and a 1200gph powerhead to provide some aeration and current. I started with a fishless cycle and now have some great fish in a tank that seems to have cycled very well. Using API Master Freshwater Test kit, tank consistently registering 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and Nitrates coming in between 5-15 ppm. One problem. My pH is consistently high. After PWC's of up to 50%, I still cannot get the pH below 8.2. We live in a rural setting with well-water. I use Prime and Stability to condition the tank. I have read through a lot of ideas for naturally decreasing the pH.... most of which taint the color of the tank. As these reading have been recording the same for over 8 weeks, I know that this is not just a spike. What regiment of Seachem products would you recommend to gradually lower the pH? Also, what problems is a pH of 8.2 causing in my fish? Thanks!

Thanks for the post Scott S! A pH that is outside of your target range can put a low level of stress on your fish over prolonged periods of time which can ultimately make them more susceptible to infections and other health issues.

To gradually bring your pH down, I would recommend Acid and Alkaline Buffers. Acid Buffer will lower both the pH and KH of your tank which will allow you to cut the pH down close to your desired range, and you can then add the Acid and Alkaline Buffer in the suggested ratio to "set" the pH and KH where you want them!

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks so much! I appreciate the recommendation.

Comment

No problem! Have a nice day :)

Comment

Working...
        X