X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purigen and Tetra Aquasafe

Hi
    New here

Can I use Tetra Aquasafe water treatment with purigen??
    I have read that some types of water dechlorinators can render purigen toxic and useless.

Re: Purigen and Tetra Aquasafe

No, amine based slime-coat products can render it toxic and useless.

Comment

Ok, thanks for that

Comment

We cannot answer this question fully because we do not know the chemical makep of that product. You should contact the manufacturer and find out if it is amine-based. If the product is amine-based, it will not cause any problems when using them together. The problem arises during the regeneration process. If you were to regenerate the Purigen with an amine-based water conditioner, these amines could combine with the chlorine from bleach (used in regeneration) and form chloramine, which is harmful to the fish. It will not cause this issue until the bleach comes in to play. So, the long and short of it is that you can use Purigen with any water conditioner, but must consider using a non amine-based product in the regeneration process.

Comment

Am i right in assuming the cyclic amine the prime converts ammonia into will not recombine with the chlorine and create chloramines?

Comment

The only way that is possible is if you add chlorine to the water that is being treated with Prime. I think you're trying to see how prime breaks down chlorine; "logically" there's no point in making a water conditoner that allows everything to recombine after it breaks down, however, the molecules that are broken apart are actually converted and detoxified.

Here's what describes that process (read 2nd paragraph of "Why It's Different"): http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html
            Last edited by LabTest57; 08-11-2009, 02:37.

Comment

sostoudt, it is completely safe to use Prime in conjunction with and during the regeneration process of Purigen. Because Prime itself is not a slime coat product, (it actually stimulates the fish to produce its own slime coat), it is fine to use Prime for this process.

Comment

I use API Stress Coat + and was planning on regenerating my Purigen with this but I don't know what's inside. It doesn't say anything on the bottle.

Comment

Unfortunately, that particular product is amine-based and is therefore not compatible with Purigen regeneration. It will not allow the Purigen to be properly regenerated.

Comment

Okay, I haven't started regenerating it yet other then simply soaking it in bleach and water. What product do you recomend to use to regenerate it then? Clear and simple answer please... I won't hold it against you if you recomend your product. =)

Comment

We always use Prime when regenerating our Purigen, as it is not amine-based. Plus, we get it cheap! :) Please keep in mind that if you have added any Stress Coat while running your Purigen, the resin may already be non-regenerable.

Comment

Oh wow.. I didn't even realize that. I haven't added stress to the tank but it's not even a week old so I'm sure I have ruined the bag. Well, there goes $20 down the drain. Now what? This sucks.

Comment

Did you say that you haven't added any Stress Coat to the tank while the Purigen was in place?

Comment

I did a partial water change in between the two bags so I guess the 1st is ruined... the 2nd could probably be saved. I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth it. Had I known about the stress coat regeneration problems, I wouldn't have bothered.

Comment

We certainly understand your frustrations. If your water change was in between the two bags of Purigen, then you may be okay. As long as the two products are not in the tank at the same time, then the Purigen should still be regenerable. Keep in mind that water conditioners in general will only remain in your tank for 24-48 hours, so you can leave the Purigen out of your filter while performing water changes in the future(if you continue to use Stress Coat).

Here is a question from the FAQ for Purigen:
                              Q: Does AP Stress Coat foul/ruin your Purigen product?

A: If they use an amine based polymer it will not foul the resin but will render it non-regenerable. What amine based polymers will do is bond not just to Purigen but to any organic scavenging resin as well as any ion exchange resin and when you attempt to regenerate the resin they will then bond with the chlorine to form chloramine which can be released into the aquarium. This is not just an issue with Purigen but with all resins being sold in the pet trade. The problem only occurs when one attempts to regenerate the resin, there is no problem unless you wish to regenerate the resin you are using. Seachem products do not contain amine based polymers and are safe to be used in conjunction with not only our resins but also with other companies resins.

Comment

Working...
                              X