Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purigen recharge process

I went and read this thread all the way through:
    http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/ph-drop-after-recharging-seachem-purigan-emergency-122023.html

Any word on a revised recharge process to prevent this from happening?

At this point, I intend to soak in a fairly large quantity (5 gallons) of well water for 48 hours after recharging, and then test the pH. If it drops, I'll do it again. Then I'll test it with a fairly large quantity of purigen in a jar with an expendable shrimp.

Re: Purigen recharge process

The key is to soak it in Prime in very acidic water for at least a day, if your that worried. Then, put the Purigen in buffered water at the pH of your choice or that is the same as the aquarium for at least a day as well.

Comment

Thanks for the post. On the revised instructions for regenerating Purigen, it is no longer necessary to soak the media in a buffer solution. The instructions are as follows:

Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.

As long as you rinse the media well after the dechlorination step and there is no sign of residual chlorine/bleach, the Purigen should be ready for use. We are currently working on changing the instructions on the website and any labels printed in the future will have that step omitted.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a good day!

Comment

Just wondering with the bleach, does it matter whether it's domestic bleach (ie scented)?

Comment

You will want to be sure the bleach is not scented and also does not contain any dyes. Be sure it is 6% sodium hypochlorite bleach. We use Chlorox at Seachem.

Comment

After 24hr, it's still very dark brown. I've changed the bleach/water solution and will let it soak again, is this a good idea?

Comment

Hello tangcla,

Sometimes the Purigen resin can actually become stained, especially if there are a lot of color bodies, such as tannins in your tank. As long as you have followed the regeneration process as specified, Purigen's ability to further remove organics will be restored, even if the original color does not return.

With that said, it will not harm the resin if you soak it longer in the bleach solution, though you may also need to extend the dechlorination step for up to 10 hours or so.

Have a good day!

Comment

Is there any harm in using a stronger bleach:water concentrate? Or even using straight bleach? (taking into account not all bleaches are going to be uniform in strength)

Comment

I wouldn't recommend a stronger solution of bleach, and certainly not straight bleach, as this could potentially harm the resin.

As we stated earlier in this thread, we recommend 6% sodium hypochlorite at a 1:1 bleach to water ratio.

If for some reason, your bleach is less than 6%, then you could do a stronger solution of bleach, but typically most household bleach will be 6%.

Have a good day.

Comment

I am in Sydney Australia and a keen Seachem user.

I am using Purigen, Flourish, Flourish Excel, Prime and Flourite.

I have recently pulled out the Purigen from my 80 litre feshwater tank, while am medicating for White Spot (Ick) . I still need to then medicate for fin rot - I got a double whammy.

So I thought would take the opportunity to regenerate my purigen sachel for the first time. After a chat to an aquarium veteran, I have over run the process just to be sure.

*** Thanks for adding the Sodium HydroCholrorite ratio. Very helpful and I had a sigh of relief when reading it, as I was worried that trace element will hang around and impact my tank enivornment.
                    My bleach is 4%, I assume @ (42g/litre) ***

I have :
                    1. Soak the purigen in 1:1 bleach to water solution for 36 hours
                    2. Soak the purigen in 2 tablespoons of Prime per cup of water for 16 hours
                    3. Rinse the purigen well
                    4. Soak the purigen in 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water and been soaking now for 4-5 days.

The reason I have done the last step is I got real paranoid when I read this post (after I already started) and also after speaking to the veteran (above).

I am now thinking of diluting the buffered solution further with a bucket of RO /tank water and keeping it in there for another 7 or so days until I complete the medication cycle and adding some activated carbon.

My bleach is a White King brand and is lemon scented.

Will the purigen be ok ?

Can I do anything other than what am doing ?

Should I let the purigen dry out in the sun, before using again ?

Is it best to keep it soaked until I am ready to use it again ?

I would appreciate all your help and place my trust and faith inyou and your products

Look forward to your reply

Cheers

Caperz

Comment

Thank you for being such a loyal customer, Caperz!

I am sorry to hear about the diseases that you are dealing with; no fun! Because your bleach is only 4% sodium hypochlorite, I think that extending the soak time in the bleach solution was a good idea. Also, because we recommend using non-scented bleach, also extending the dechlorination step should have helped to get rid of any chlorine and hopefully any trace of scent. Please be sure that there is no residual chlorine or bleach scent before placing the Purigen back into use.

I honestly see no reason that you should have to extend the buffering step, as our research has shown that this step is not even necessary (though it cannot hurt to have done it). There really is no reason to extend it for another 7 days, however.

Your Purigen will be just fine to place back into use after you have finished medicating, however I would not recommend allowing it to dry out prior to use, as doing so could cause the beads to possibly shrink or crack. Simply store it in a little bit of water in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware until you are ready to re-use.

Have a great evening, Caperz!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I have kept it in the Neutral Regular Buffer (dosed as per my previous post) is that I can still smell a slight lemon bleachy smell.

Its got me worried and anxious. I have used 2 fresh cups of water for every phase of the regen process.

That is why I was thinking of this time pouring the buffered water into a full bucket of freshwater, so there is more water volume and surface area to hopefully neutralise any bleach residue further.

The last thing I want is to re-add the purigen back into my system and lose live stock !

What do you suggest to get around the above ?

Comment

If you are worried that there are still traces of chlorine, I would recommend investing in a chlorine test kit. As long as the Purigen is placed in dechlorinated, and the chlorine reads zero, then your Purigen is completely safe. Many hobbyists choose to do this just to put their mind at ease ;)

Comment

[QUOTE=Tech Support HK;10587]If you are worried that there are still traces of chlorine, I would recommend investing in a chlorine test kit. As long as the Purigen is placed in dechlorinated, and the chlorine reads zero, then your Purigen is completely safe. Many hobbyists choose to do this just to put their mind at ease ;)[/QUOTE]

Hello again.

I am keen to get a cholrine test kit but understand that ones that are designed to be used for pools, are not sensitive enough to detect the slightest reading of cholrine.

Can you recommend where I can get the most appropriate test kit ?

I look forward to your response

Caperz

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a chlorine test kit that was designed specifically for aquarium testing. The only ones I am aware of are for pools. These should be successful in letting you know if there is any chorine present.

Comment

Working...
                              X