Prime and reading nitrite levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime and reading nitrite levels

I'm a long term user of Prime, and I'm aware of it giving wrong readings with say the API liquid test kits for ammonia levels.

But is this true also for nitrite and nitrate API liquid test kits? :)

Re: Prime and reading nitrite levels

Hi quatermass,

Thank you for being a loyal Prime user. Yes, when Prime is in the system, you will see a reading for nitrites and/or nitrates on your test kit if these things are in the tank. However, rest assured that they will be in a detoxified form and therefore unavailable to harm your tank inhabitants as long as Prime is in the system:)

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.

I admin on a aquarium Yahoo group and needed to reassure my colleagues that Prime would do that and yet be perfectly harmless. :)

I told them to take a sample of the tank water out and leave it to sit for 36 hours and then test for Nitrite as Prime will have disappeared by then.

Can I also tell them your nitrite/nitrate multitest kit will have no trouble reading pass the Prime like your ammonia test kit does?

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up with your colleagues. In the case of nitrites and nitrates, our kits will also yield false positive readings when Prime is in the system, as there are not different forms of these as with ammonia.

Have a nice evening!

Comment

Thanks for that.

Will leaving the sample out like I suggest work?

Comment

Prime will remain active from 24-48 hours, so I would recommend waiting a full 48 hours to be sure it is no longer in the sample. At that point, your reading for nitrite and nitrates will be true.

Comment

Working...
            X