Cycling my Tank with Fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthony,

It sounds like you are so close to the end! It is fine to use an occasional booster dose, but if you add too much bacteria you can create competition between the growing bacteria and the new bacteria you add, so after this boost, try to hold off if you can. Since you are leaving town, this will be a good opportunity to let the bacteria settle in and colonize and multiply. If you feed the tank before you leave, that should add a boost of organics to hold you over util you return.

When you return, test parameters and hopefully the cycle will be complete :)

Comment

Hi Again,
      So I got back from Montreal, and tested my water:
      Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm (can't tell, in between)
      Nitrite: 2 - 5ppm
      Nitrate: 40ppm

On Friday morning, I fed the fish but most of the food fell to the bottom of the gravel. Saturday, the fish did not get fed (obviously), and then today I returned and fed the fish. Those are my parameters, so I am a bit confused because on Thursday, they were almost perfect!? The water is cloudier, and I can see lots of debris on the bottom of the tank in the gravel, so I am going to do a water change to try and get out all of that rotting debris out of the gravel, but what should my next steps be? After performing the water change, I will add about 10 - 15mL of stability and see how it is tomorrow morning. I will see if I can post my parameters tomorrow morning so you can tell me what to do next.

I am so confused, so I hope that you guys can help me with this.

Thanks again,
      Anthony

Comment

Hi,
        Update of my parameters this morning:
        Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm
        Nitrite: 1ppm

Yesterday afternoon, I completed a 20-30% water change (26L or about 6 gallons of water came out) and also cleaned the gravel from all that rotting debris on the bottom of the tank. I added 30mL of Stability and 15mL of Prime.

This morning after I saw those parameters, I dosed 15mL of Stability and 15mL of Prime. What should my next steps be? I am so confused to what is happening because my cycle was doing good last week before I left and then now my Nitrites and Nitrates are rising, and also my Ammonia a little bit, not a huge change though, except for the Nitrites and Nitrates.

Please reply back ASAP and let me know what to do... should I stop dosing Stability and just dose Prime every day or every other day, or should I continue dosing both. I ordered lots more of Stability and Prime, so I should have lots for a very long time...

Thanks again,
        Anthony

Comment

Good Morning,
          My parameters this morning are:
          Ammonia: between 0 to 0.25ppm (I cannot tell because it does not have a green tinge but it does not match the 0ppm colour, but it is more towards the yellow, so 0ppm)
          Nitrite: 0.50ppm

I dosed 15mL of Prime to detoxify the Nitrite. What should my next steps be? The water is getting cloudy.

Comment

AMorra2000,

Those numbers are great! It looks like your bacteria load is strong and is processing the influx of organics. The water change likely helped to remove the pieces or debris however, since nitrite is steadily coming down, the bacteria is multiplying and working to offset the increased load of the tank. The clouding is likely due to stirring up the bacteria during the water change. You can do one of the following:

a) dose a booster dose of Stability (the day 1 dose for your tank) and then wait for clouding to clear. You can still dose Prime at any time.

b) simply wait for bacteria to settle and closing to clear. You an still dose Prime at any time.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for the reply. I just completed another water test and my results are:
              Ammonia: 0ppm (I CAN verify this because I went out in the sunlight to compare instead of artificial light indoors)
              Nitrite: between 0.25 - 0.50ppm (more towards 0.50ppm)

It seems though that the Stability is making the water cloudy, I believe. I guess because the bacteria is trying to multiply and grow.

Is my tank almost done cycling? Should I continue to dose Prime until the Nitrites are gone (at 0ppm)? If so, how often and how much mL? I will dose the booster dose of Stability now just to give my tank one last boost of bacteria. This will be the last dose I will do for now until the cycle completes, and once it completes, I will start with partial water changes each week and just add a little to relenish the bacteria I may have lost.

Comment

Good Morning,
                My parameters this morning are:
                Ammonia: 0ppm
                Nitrite: between 0.50 to 1ppm (more towards 1ppm)

Yesterday afternoon, I added the starter dose, so I added 10mL of Stability. This morning, after seeing my test results, I dosed 10mL of Prime.

Is my cycle almost complete? Why are the Nitrites not going away? Why are they rising? Shouldn't they be lowering? However, since we started, my Nitrates have risen quite a bit and my Ammonia has dropped. It seems that my cycle is stuck now on making the Nitrites disappear, correct?

Thank You,
                Anthony

Comment

Good Morning,
                  My parameters this morning were:
                  Ammonia: between 0 - 0.25ppm (Hard to tell which one, but I think its more 0.25ppm but it could be 0 because it has always been this colour)
                  Nitrite: between 2 - 5 ppm

Why are my Nitrites rising? I dosed 15mL of Stability and 30mL of Prime to detoxify the Nitrite. Please help me ASAP as to what is happening. The water is getting foggy, but fish seem to be acting fine.

Thank You,
                  Anthony

Comment

Anthony,

Nitrite is supposed to rise as ammonia levels rise and fall. If ammonia is still being produced, an after effect will be nitrite. Bacteria will convert all ammonia to nitrite and then a different style of bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrate. Keep in mind that Prime will detoxify nitrite but will not remove it. If levels increase, you should see them also fall and then convert to nitrate as the cycle nears its end.

At this point in the process you should not be adding more bacteria. You need to be patient and let the bacteria that is already there work. By adding more than needed, you can cause the bacteria to compete with the bacteria you have added previously. In a tank cycle, more is not always better as you must allow the nitrogen cycle to be carried our naturally even if you started the cycle by seeding the tank with large amounts of bacteria.

At this point, you should not be adding any more bacteria other than the 1 booster dose we suggested on Tuesday. Now you wait as you allow the nitrite consuming bacteria to grow and consume/convert the nitrite. You can continue to add Prime as needed to detoxify nitrite (you will use the 5x dosage for this). Also, no more water changes until nitrite comes down and has all converted to nitrate.

Comment

Hi,
                      Thanks for the reply. So, I should just wait and let it run its course? How much Prime to dose (what is the 5x dose)? How can I fix the fogginess or should I just leave it and at the end, when everything goes to 0ppm, just do a partial water change to refresh the system? I am wondering that maybe I have too many fish that is causing a delay in the cycle or is this not possible?

Thanks for all the help!
                      Anthony

Comment

Good Morning,
                        I will continue to follow what you tell me, as it seems to be working. My parameters this morning are:
                        Ammonia: 0ppm
                        Nitrite: 0.50 - 1ppm (more towards 0.50ppm)
                        Nitrate: between 40 - 80ppm (Hard to tell because the colours look the same)

I dosed 25mL (5X dose) of Prime. Hopefully my Nitrites will continue to lower as I progress.

Comment

The 5x dose is .5 mL per gallon or 0.125 mL per liter of water. You can multiply these numbers by the gallon or liter size of your aquarium to find the proper dosage for your tank.

It is a good sign that your tank cycle is progressing again. Hopefully the rest of the nitrite will subside and all will convert to nitrate soon!

Comment

Hi,
                            The 5X dose is 1/2 ml (0.5) multiplied by the number of gallons in your tank? I thought it was 5mL was the dose for 50 gallons, so 2.5ml would be for 25 gallons of water. But 5X, so I did 5 multiplied by 5, so I got 25mL... please explain this, as I am confused.

Comment

Yes, the 5x dosage would be 0.5 mL multiplied by the gallons of your tank. If you have 25 gallons, that would mean that the standard recommended dosage would be 2.5 mL for your tank. A 5x dosage would be 12.5 mL for a 25 gallon tank.

The dosage you have listed, 5 mL x 5 would be fine if you have a 50 gallon tank which would be the same as 0.5 mL (the 5x dose per gallon) x 50 gallons = 25mL. If you dose this amount in a 25 gallon tank this would be a 10x dose, thus an overdose.

Comment

Hi,
                                So I have a 20 gallon tank. How much would I dose?

Comment

Working...
                                X