• Show
Clear All

Good Morning!
    I am so happy.... my parameters this morning are:
    Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrite: 5ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm
    Seachem Ammonia Alert: SAFE

YAY! My tank is progressing very good!!!! By tomorrow, my Ammonia should drop to 0, and Nitrites should start coming down, and I should start seeing an increase in Nitrates.

Will continue to update as I progress.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Comment

I also dosed with 10mL of Prime to detoxify the Nitrite. I am not sure how long Prime keeps it detoxified, because I dosed 15mL yesterday, but to make sure no fish die, I dosed 10mL today...

Comment

Sounds like all good news on the cycling front! Thank you for the updates :)

You can use Prime every 48 hours (this is the amount of time it stays active to detoxify) as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite non-toxic until the cycle is completely finished.

It shouldn't be long now!

Comment

Good Morning!
          My parameters this morning are:
          Ammonia: between 0 to 0.25ppm
          Nitrite: 5ppm
          Nitrate: 10ppm
          Seachem Ammonia Alert: SAFE

I did not dose anything, since I dosed Prime yesterday. I uploaded a few photos of my tank to show you how cloudy/awful looking it looks, you can hardly see the fish, and cannot see the back of the tank - but like you said, do not do water changes until done cycling. After done cycling, I will wait a few days to make sure everything is fine, then each day, do one small partial water change to try and clear the tank up.

Here is links to the photos if they are too small (I know other people had problems uploading). Copy and paste into your web browser:
          [url]https://ibb.co/jZaDY5[/url]
          [url]https://ibb.co/hXWLD5[/url]
          [url]https://ibb.co/kwGLD5[/url]
          [url]https://ibb.co/cziYY5[/url]

It seems that my tank should be almost done cycling in a few days.
          I will continue to update!

Thanks,
          Anthony
          Attached Files

Comment

Good Afternoon:
            My parameters this morning were:
            Ammonia: 0.25ppm
            Nitrite: 2ppm
            Nitrate: 10ppm

I'm sorry - I had to do a water change. It seems that the tank has an algae bloom, as the water has a green haze. I did about a 30% water change.
            I will test my water tomorrow morning to see where I am at. I hope the water change doesn't hurt the cycle or cause my tank to recycle, but my tank needed it!!!

Thanks,
            Anthony

Comment

Good Morning!
              Parameters this morning are:
              Ammonia: 0ppm
              Nitrite: between 0 and 0.25 (not blue, not purple, but more towards the blue which is 0)

I hope that the water change will not cause my tank to recycle. It seems as though my tank is going through an algae bloom, the water is kind of green. What should I do? Should I let the cycle complete, and then how can I remove the algae? Also, will my Nitrites spike again now after the water change? I really do regret doing the water change because I feel as if I messed up the tank again, when it was going good. If I would of left it, the Nitrites would of came down slowly, then it would of been cycled, and I could of did small water changes each day to clear up the tank.

Thanks,
              Anthony

Comment

Good Morning!
                Nitrite: 0ppm

Does this mean my cycle has completed? How come the nitrites are 0, when they were 2 before the water change, and they are now 0, I thought they would rise again?
                If I test again tomorrow morning and I see the same results, is it safe to say that my tank has cycled? If I see the same results, and my tank has cycled, how can I combat this algae bloom? Do small water changes to fix it, turn off the aquarium lights, etc?

I will continue to update.

Thanks so much!
                Anthony

Comment

Good Evening,
                  I tested my tank again, my parameters are:

I decided to do 3 50% water changes in a row (took out 50%, filled it up, ran the filter for 10-20min, then repeat) to clear up the tank from the algae bloom and the cycling stuff. I did not clean the gravel though. The water is now crystal clear and the fish seem happier. To make sure I didn't ruin the cycle, I dosed the booster dose of Stabilty, 5mL for my tank (20 gallons). I also fed the fish a little bit so that we can see if the Ammonia and Nitrite turn into Nitrate.

Will continue to update.
                  Thanks,
                  Anthony

Comment

Good Morning,
                    I tested my tank this morning and got:
                    Nitrate: 0ppm

The tank is so clear, I am going to feed my fish now. Should I continue to test for a few more days just to make sure that everything is fine?
                    I believe my tank is cycled before I did the 3 water changes, all I did was remove the water and not clean the gravel, so the bacteria should still be there.

Thanks,
                    Anthony

Comment

Good Morning!

Has my tank cycled? I believe so. Unless the extra prime that I used on my water change is giving me false results? It should be wearing out by today, it will be 48 hours tonight.

I will test again for the next few mornings to check to continue to make sure it is fine, but I believe it is fine.

Thanks You!
                      Anthony

Comment

Good Morning!
                        I think it is safe to say that my tank has cycled!
                        Parameters this morning are still:

My tank is cloudy again. It seems that everytime I add Stability, the tank gets cloudy/milky white. I am going to do another water change tonight to clear it up again! :)
                        I feel so relieved. It was very stressful and a very long wait, but finally, my tank has cycled!!!
                        It now pays off, as it should be easier maintenence!!

YAY! I am so happy.
                        I will continue to update, however, if things change in the next few days, but I don't expect them too.

Thanks,
                        Anthony

Comment

Yay!!! This so exciting! We are very happy to hear the good news about your tank! Please keep us updated or if you have any questions!

Comment

There should be Nitrate in the tank...I am surprised that Seachem support didn't find this strange. Thoughts?

Comment

SD Turtles and Seachem Support,
                              I have done some major water changes, but the fogginess keeps coming back after 2-3 days. My father did a small water change 2 days ago, it seems that it is still staying clear. Does doing large water changes make the water cloudy because it disrupts something in the water?

I changed the carbon in the filter last weekend. I tested my parameters to confirm if everything is okay, and they are:

I am guessing Nitrate is 0 because of the water changes. I am going to wait a few days, test again to make sure everything stays at 0 and nitrates rise. Is it safe to say that I can add fish now? I lost a few fish the other day (I guess because their bodies couldn't handle the long cycling process), I want to go out and get fish that I actually want now, because my guppies tails are messed up (bits and pieces are missing from previous gouramis but I only kept for cycling purposes).

Thanks!
                              Anthony

Comment

Yes, water changes can certainly disrupt beneficial bacteria, depending on how large the water change is, if you changed or cleaned the filter media and if you vacuumed the substrate. All of which can disturb the bacterial colonies.

There were 0 ammonia and nitrites, and 5ppm nitrate not too long ago, correct? If there are not many fish in the system creating waste, there will not be a high amount of nitrates being produced, therefore, a water change could remove them entirely.

Comment

Working...
                                X