Columnaris, Saprolegnia or Aeromonas? Polyguard? Kanaplex? Paraguard? Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnaris, Saprolegnia or Aeromonas? Polyguard? Kanaplex? Paraguard? Help

I placed this Jewel Cichlid in a quarantine tank. He's in the later stages of this fungal or bacterial decease. I had an over crowded, over bullied 200-300 1 month old fry-juvenile tank of Jewels in a 55 gallon tank. I introduced 4 rabbit snails as well, 1 came from what seamed like an aquarium full of dead rabbit snails. It may or may not have came from them.

I found a few dead hidden fish completely or almost covered in fugus. Same as the one that grows in uneaten pellets sometimes. But the ones I placed in quarentine seem to have lost that fungal look and are covered mostly with scars and lesions where the body and tissue seem to dissolve?

I treated them a bit too late with Paraguard 3 days ago, doing it daily but ran out. I went to buy some but bought Polyguard which also has Malachite green but furan as well inside which might be good if they have columnaris as well. But from what I've read Kanaplex and Furan 2 is better for that bacterial disease. Yesterday was the first dose of Polyguard, now I have to wait 2 more days for the next dose.

Can anyone confirm this fungal/bacterial infection, what is it? Thx [ATTACH=CONFIG]n21917[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by easywolf31; 08-10-2017, 14:18.

[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica Neue][SIZE=12px]Thanks for your post easywolf31, and sorry to hear about your fish! If you are treating for a bacterial infection (which this looks like to me), KanaPlex is a great option because it is specifically designed to treat bacterial infections. PolyGuard is among Seachem's strongest medications, so it should definitely still be effective at clearing up the infection that your fish may have. However, PolyGuard is much broader in range so while it will still be effective, KanaPlex may offer a more "targeted strike" against the infection.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica Neue][SIZE=12px] [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica Neue][SIZE=12px]Distinguishing between bacterial or fungal infections in fish can often be quite difficult without a microscope. Fungal infections typically begin somewhere on the fish's skin, while bacterial infections can be internal or external. Sometimes an easy way to distinguish the two is by looking for the appearance of hair like threads in the infected patch of skin under question. If you see the hair like threads, you are most likely dealing with a fungal disease. Also, fungal diseases do not typically arise on their own, they usually have a primary stressor in the form of a wound or a bacterial infection, so addressing that using an antibacterial medication, or using something like stress guard is usually more effective than directly treating the fungal infection.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica Neue][SIZE=12px]Illnesses can arise for many reasons, among which include: bullying from fish, buildup of toxic substances like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and sudden or drastic changes to the fish's environment. Usually bacterial infections arise as a secondary symptom of something that is happening in the system, which is always something to keep in mind when trying to prevent future disease![/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica Neue][SIZE=12px]I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the advice. This was an unfortunate case especially because of the many culprits so it was hard to diagnose. I should have ordered the Kanaplex and Furan 2 and use them together like many people suggest for bacterial.

The problem was the first cases begun as clearly fungal. I found 1-2 dead fish and they were both covered in fungus on at least 80% of their bodies. Than other living ones showed heated scars and lesions and other parts of the body had fungus, clear hair like things.

I added Methelyn blue than Paraguard and it seemed to have helped tank 1. I ran out of Paraguard so I went to buy. some but the cheapskate store had only 100ml's for double the price. And no Kanaplex, no Furan 2 so I saw one lonely Polyguard and bought it.

Tank 1 seems cured, but not sure what helped out most between the methelyn blue, paraguard or polyguard.

Tank 2 was still doing bad after first dose of Polyguard, and 1 dose of Paraguard previously, but these guys are showing no fungus just dark red bellies, lesions, disappearing fins, looks bad. 10 have died and 5 more look bad. I don't kill them though, they all get a chance.

If these 5 are the last to get sick I'll know Polyguard helped. Otherwise I'll have to go buy Kanaplex and Furan 2. I liked Polyguard because it has malachite green and some furan..

I wish Seachem had a better diagnosing problem solving webpage and which med to use with which disease. What is Sulfanex used for by the way?
      Last edited by easywolf31; 08-12-2017, 08:27.

Comment

I just found the last sick guy who also had 1 popeye. Poor guy. See in the picture in tank 1 they get covered in fungus when they die.

In tank 2, they don't.

Picture 2 shows a nice Jewel in tank 2 with a red lesion patch.

Ps- Tank 2 was infected when I transferred about 10 Jewels from tank 1 to 2.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by easywolf31; 08-12-2017, 08:22.

Comment

Last question, If I go buy Kanaplex and Furan 2 today, how can I go about using them if I'm on my 2nd dose of Polyguard?

Comment

Working...
          X