Phosgaurd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Neil,
    Phosguard remove 0.87mg/g of phosphate. In my opinion, it should be important understand why the phosphate are high, because, it is could possible that system is producing more phosphate compared the amount that phosguard is able to remove. So, I would like to ask you more details about your tank, like water value (pH, NO2,NO3 and last PO4), then some specifics about filtration (filter model, kind of media are presente and how often you do the maintenance), how often do you do the water change and if you use tap water or RO water, species and how many fish are in the tank, and if there is a good water flow in all the tank. How long are you using the test kit?
    If for you is not a problem, I suggest to upload some pictures about the tank, sometimes is very useful.

Phosphate is one of main nutrients for the plants and so adding new plants could help to reduce the concentration. There are many species like Vallisneria, Cabomba, Egeria densa that, growing fast, "eat" a lot of nutrients.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply, after writing a large reply to you it would not let me post it for some reason but I tested the phosphate today and now it has gone down to 0.25 so I am now seeing results. Should I be aiming for zero or do I need some for the plants to eat?

Comment

Great news! 0.25 mg/l is a good concentration, in my opinion is not necessary reduce more, it is good for plants!

Comment

Thank you. Should I take out the phosgaurd then or just leave it in and change when phosphate starts to raise.

Comment

Yes, of course!

Comment

Thank you

Comment

You're welcome!

Comment

Hi, I have got my phosphate down to zero using phosgaurd but the alge still seems to be growing, is that normal? It has only been a few days at zero and I have my nitrate down to about 25ppm.
                  Thanks

Comment

In a planted tank you do not want your phosphates to be zero, as the plants need this nutrients for proper growth. We recommend targeting about a 10:1 ration of nitrates:phosphates, so for every 10 ppm of nitrates, you want 1 ppm of phosphates. At this ratio, the plants utilize the nutrients and are able to out compete the algae. If you have a build up of nitrates and zero phosphates, then you will see the algae start to out compete the plants for the nutrients. If the plants can't take up the nutrients, then the algae sure will!

Comment

OK thank you.

Comment

Hi there Neil! If you're trying to keep plants, you do need to have some phosphate in the tank. In fact, if the plants are growing well they will steadily consume the phosphate. What are you using to supplement your plants? Often, if you give the plants everything they need, they will do the job of depleting phosphate all on their own.

Thank you,

Comment

Hi, I actually put the plants in there to help with the phosphate and reduce nitrate, I use a aquarium liquid plant food.
                          A quick question. Does prime raise phosphate? I read that some water conditioner raise phosphate, I usually add a little extra prime to detoxify some nitrate.
                          Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X