Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does 5ml of Prime in a 50g tank remove and/or bind with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does 5ml of Prime in a 50g tank remove and/or bind with?

In 50g of tank water, 1 capful (5 mL) of Prime how much of each substance does it removes/neutralizes approximately?

[B]3.3 mg/L[/B] chlorine (removes)
    [B]?.? mg/L[/B] Nitrate (binds with it making them harmless for 24 up to 48hrs, API tests still show Nitrites, after 48hrs original level of toxicity is back)
    [B]?.? mg/L[/B] Nitrite (binds with it making them harmless for 24 up to 48hrs, API tests still show Nitrites, after 48hrs original level of toxicity is back)
    [B]0.8 mg/L[/B] ammonia (binds with it making them harmless for 24 up to 48hrs, API Test kit will read Ammonia, after 24 to 48hrs original level of toxicity is back)
    [B]1.2 mg/L[/B] chloramine (chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia, binds with ammonia for 24 up to 48 hrs and converts to non-toxic substance)

Found some of the numbers but want to make sure the numbers I have are approximately correct and what the values are for Nitrate and Nitrite.

Thanks

Hello jgldsh, Thanks for the post!

5mL of Prime for 50 gal of water(standard dose) will:

Remove 5 mg/L of chlorine
    Binds 2 mg/L of Nitrite, render it non-toxic, still shows on API test, but will not be harmful for fish
    Binds 2 mg/L of Nitrate, nontoxic in low levels to begin with
    Binds 1 mg/L of Ammonia, making it non-toxic for 24-48 hours. API test kit will read the same ammonia unless a good biological filtration system consumes the nontoxic ammonia and not taking into account the ammonia that results from breaking down of chloramine.
    Remove 4 mg/L of chloramine, Prime binds with the resulting ammonia for 24-48 hours and converts to a non-toxic substance.

Comment

Thank you, just to be clear, the dose of Prime will remove all of the specified at once or does it act on 1 at a time?

Also, If my tap has 20 mg/L of Nitrate (hypothetical situation), can I 10x dose the tap water in a holding container with an air bubbler (re-oxygenate the water) for a few hours before I put the treated water in a tank with fish?

Comment

There are two different actions of Prime, the chlorine and chloramine removal, and binding of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. They will happen at the same time.
        We never recommend adding more than 5x the standard dose of Prime. If the nitrate gets that high, a water change would be best.

Comment

Working...
        X