No announcement yet.

Ammonia Spike over an extended period of time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some exciting news....am now getting a reading on Nitrites.....coming in at .5.....nitrates are also higher at 30 ppm...so maybe the cycle is starting!

Comment

Today's ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings remain the same, however now for the first time PH has dropped over 48 hours on its own from 6.8 where it has been consistently for months to 6.2. Is this possibly a sign of the nitrogen cycle booting up?

Comment

Today's readings (Feb 6th) Total Ammonia 4.0 Ammonia Alert Safe, Nitrite returned to 0ppm, Nitrates at 80ppm TDS 298......but PH is 6.08! Fish still seem fine. Is the PH drop a sign of anything?

Comment

PH continues to drop, KH very low and Nitrates rise.....should I be using Alkaline buffer to deal with the PH and KH?

Comment

Hello Tom, the drop in pH could be an indicator that the KH needs to be boosted in order to resist pH changes by an influx of organic waste acid. It could also be the environment where the tank is set up. For example, a well-insulated house with people living and breathing in it can produce high levels of CO2. Since CO2 dissolved in water acidifies it, when this air comes in contact with aquarium water at the surface, the pH drops. Adding Alkaline Buffer will increase KH and help resist changes in pH.

Comment

Thank you for your help....thought I would provide an update of my water conditions today Feb 11th. Your suggestion to use Zeolite appears to be working well, as after 48 hours the total ammonia reading is .25 down from 4 just days ago! Nitrite remains at 0, and Nitrate is still high at 60 or 80...hard to tell with the api test kit chart. Will likely remove the Zeolite as soon as ammonia reads 0. Your suggestion to use alkaline buffer together with acid buffer appears to have done the job of restoring the KH reading to 4 and PH to 6.8 where I want it. GH is at 6 and TDS has risen to 483 no doubt due to the buffers. With the use of Zeolite to bring down total ammonia, I have no idea if the nitrogen cycle is complete or working, however with the high Nitrate level, it would appear that is is. Am continuing to use Prime and Stability as before to remain safe. Have started water changes a few days ago of about 20% daily in hopes of bringing down Nitrates . Cleaned the sump filter yesterday (it was dirty), and will clean the Fluval 406 in a couple of days. Appear to be making progress, and have learned a lot along the way, with thanks for your suggestions and support.

Comment

Ammonia reading today came in at ZERO! YEA! Nitrite at 0, but Nitrates still dangerously high at 60 to 80. So here's another question besides a regime of water changes should I purchase Seachem de-nitrate? I already have a litre of pond matrix, and a litre of regular matrix in the filters. Both filter are now changed with new carbon. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Wondering if anyone has any further tips on dealing with nitrates...

Comment

Does Seachem Pristine make sense iat water changes?

Comment

Well at long last....meaning from Jan 11/18 to now Feb 19/18, water conditions have returned to where they should be.....total ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates to 10 or 20 ppm ( hard to tell from the colour chart). PH seems stable at 6.7....its a miracle! TDS is high at 593, but I don't think this matters. Did add Pristine yesterday....don't know it that already contributed to the drop in nitrates, in just 24 hrs, but I did not have time for any water changes yesterday and the level still dropped....started a new nitrate test kit....maybe that's it .
                      It's been a long road, but hopefully I can sustain these conditions. Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X