Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammonia Test Kit...Faulty??

Hey guys, once again, I need some help.

My ammonia kit is not showing any results. It gives a 0 free ammonia reading, even though my Red Sea test says I have 0.021.

Anyway, I tried doing the reference test and it didn't give me a reading either! The sensor never changed color.

This is the funny part, the only time the sensor changed color was when I did a total ammonia test. But even then, the sensor only changed a quarter of a quarter of its size in one corner, I had to really look for it.

BTW I did the reference test with the reference liquid. Didn't give me a result at all.

Is my kit bad? should I return it to where I bought it? (doctor foster & smith)

Thanks for the help.

Re: Ammonia Test Kit...Faulty??

We are the only company that makes a test kit that distinguishes between free and total ammonia. So, the reason you did not get a reading from our test kit when you ran a free ammonia test is because there was no free ammonia present. The Red Sea test kit measures total ammonia so that is why you got a reading off of this test kit and not ours. If you read the directions for running the reference test, you will see that you can only run a reference test using the total ammonia method, not the free ammonia method. As far as the sensor only turning a color on one small area, this is probably because you have such a low ammonia level. With this low of a level, you will need to run the test for 30 minutes rather than 15 minutes to see a more sensitive reading.

Comment

I did wait for 30 minutes on both the free & total ammonia tests.
      The free ammonia still did not show anything, but the total ammonia showed an ammonia level of 0.3.

I have to admit that I did not runt the reference test following the total ammonia steps, but I tried it again and it did work.

But I'm still trying to understand this: if the total ammonia has been detected by the kit, shouldn't the free ammonia be detected as well?

Doesn't "total" ammonia mean "all" ammonia present?

Please explain. Thanks.

Comment

The ammonia is not free......Total ammonia is a combination of free and bound ammonia. If it picked up a reading on the total ammonia test and not on the free, then the ammonia is not free.

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X