Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 21:33

New canister filter arrangement

I have a 75 gallon saltwater fish only with live rock tank. There are 75 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand (my bio filter). I'm also running a Marineland C360 canister filter that is mostly still in it's (default) fresh water setup but I've been changing it a bit to better suit my saltwater setup. I've had some Matrix in it for several weeks as well as some Chemipure but I'm switching all of my products to Seachem so I'm looking at the following changes. I'd love some feedback.

The bottom tray is mechanical filter (corse sponge). That will remain
The next tray up today has Matrix and the Chemipure (I also have some Matrix in top tray as it was easy to add). I'm going to consolidate all of the Matrix to this tray.
The next tray currently has bio-balls. I'm thinking of removing these and putting SeaGel (to replace the Chemipure) here.
The top tray current has ceramic rings. I'm thinking of removing these and putting Purigen.

How does this sound? Do I have the order correct or is it reversed? I've seen you post mechanical --> chemical -->biological which makes me think I should have the Matrix in the top tray. Do you agree I should get get rid of the bio-balls and ceramic rings?

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52
Administrator

Re: New canister filter arrangement

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for switching all of your filter media to Seachem products; we hope you will be very satisfied with their performance!

You are correct; we recommend allowing the water to flow through filtration in the following order, to ensure optimal results:

mechanical-----> chemical-----> biological

Where biological filtration is concerned, the more you have in place, the better long-term control you will have over nitrogenous waste. While ceramic rings and bio-balls are pretty good at controlling ammonia and nitrites, they are not very porous and therefore cannot house the anaerobic bacteria that are necessary for the control of nitrates. Therefore, replacing these two medias with Matrix is a very good idea. Each liter of Matrix provides the same surface area of 170 liters of bio balls!

So, assuming that your filter works so that the water first flows to the bottom tray, and then works its way up to the top tray, then I would recommend setting up the filter in this manner:

Bottom tray: sponge (mechanical)

Next tray up: SeaGel and Purigen (chemical)

Next tray up: Matrix (biological)

Top tray: Matrix (biological)

In this setup, the water will first flow through the sponge, which will remove the undissolved matter from the water, allowing the SeaGel and Purigen to function more efficiently. Then, having the water pass through the SeaGel and Purigen, you will have the organics that are in solution (dissolved) removed by the MatrixCarbon that is in SeaGel and the Purigen; the PhosGuard component of SeaGel will take out any phosphates and/or silicates. Finally, the water will flow through quite a bit of Matrix, which will house the proper bacteria to consume ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Again, thank you for using our products, and please let us know if you have additional questions. Have a great day!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52

Thank you! That's exactly the info I was looking for. One more question:

The tank has been running 13 weeks with the bioballs and rings. The Matix has been in the canister for 4 weeks. (the tank, 75g, has 75lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand).

Do I need to phase out the bioballs and rings or can they all be removed at once? I don't want to crash by bio filter.

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56
Administrator

Hi Mike,

Even with the Matrix that has already been in place and the live rock and sand, I would still suggest changing out the ceramic rings and bio-balls slowly. I would recommend changing out 1/4 of the existing media at any one time with your routine water changes.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-09-2012, 13:05

Sounds good. Thanks again!

-Mike
Old 04-09-2012, 13:18
Administrator

You are very welcome!
Old 04-09-2012, 19:14

One last question. How much Matrix should I use? I currently have 1000ml which should be enough for 100gl. My tank is 75. Should I stick with this and just split it between the top two trays or add more? Can I have too much?

-Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07
Administrator

Hi Mike,

You cannot have too much Matrix; in fact, the more you have, the more surface area you are providing for beneficial bacteria. Each 500mL will treat 50 gallons of water, and even though you only have 75 gallons, I would still recommend using the entire 1L split between the two trays. If you still have additional room, it couldn't hurt to add more, though 1L is more than sufficient for 75 gallons of water.

Have a good one, Mike!
Old 04-10-2012, 14:55

Ok, thanks again!

-Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 14:58
Administrator

Of course!