Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > Sunken Gardens

Old 05-23-2010, 17:23

Excel dosing

I just recently purchased a 2 liter bottle of Excel. I have never used it before, and have heard an overdose can cause shrimp death. I do have 2 cherry shrimp in the tank I am adding the Excel to. On the bottle it says the initial dose should be 1 capful for every 20 gals, after that 1 capful for every 100 gals. However, on your website, the directions state 1 capful for every 10 gals, then 1 capful for every 50 gals. Which is correct? I don't want to kill off my shrimp due to mislabeling.
Old 05-23-2010, 17:38

Re: Excel dosing

Ok so I think I may have figured out the answer on my own, but just want to be sure. The cap on the 2 liter bottle is obviously bigger (probably double the size) than the cap on the reg size bottles. Therefore, the dosage equivalent doubles. Am I right?

I already did the initial dose, and am going to start out dosing every other day to see how that goes.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21
Administrator

Thanks for the question. You are correct: the cap on the 2L bottle of Flourish Excel holds 10mL, while the cap on the smaller bottles (100mL, 250mL, 500mL) holds 5mL, hence the different dosing instructions. Dosing this product every other day or daily should produce great results for you :-) Hope this helps!
Old 05-24-2010, 18:21

I have heard that overdosing can cause shrimp death. I have 2 cherry shrimp in the tank that I am using Excel in. Right now I am dosing every other day in fear of overdose. How much would be considered an overdose?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:04
Administrator

It is completely safe to use Excel daily as directed, and doing so would not be overdoing it. We simply don't recommend overdosing, as Excel is a reducing agent. Therefore, dosing 1 capful per 50 gallons of water daily is perfectly acceptable. We hope this information helps, and thank you for using Flourish Excel!