Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2012, 13:50

Pond Matrix in Saltwater

Is pond matrix suitable for salt water? Is it similar to base rocks?

Is it possible to use live rocks to seed the pond matrix?
Old 02-08-2012, 14:34
Administrator

Re: Pond Matrix in Saltwater

Thank you for the post!

Yes, Pond Matrix is suitable for a saltwater aquarium. It is a larger version of Matrix and is ideal for use in sumps for larger systems. In fact, we have it in all of our sumps here at the office and it works great! A better option for seeding the Pond Matrix would be to use our Stability. This is a bacterial supplement that contains the appropriate aerobic and anaerobic bacteria for the aquarium. You can simply add the Pond Matrix to your sump or filter and begin adding Stability daily for 7. This will help to quickly establish your biological filter. Than you can use the Stability as part of your routine maintenance by adding it at water changes, any time you add new fish or if you ever medicate. There will inevitably be some colonies that become compromised during these times and Stability will help to replenish them.

I hope this information helps!
Old 02-08-2012, 21:15

I'm thinking about filling half of my 40g sump with pond matrix, and reduce live rocks to maybe 75 pounds. Would it be as effective as having 150 pounds of live rocks in my 120g tank?

I'm just wondering why pond matrix reduce nitrates in freshwater tanks. If I put dry base rocks in FW tank, then would I still be able to reduce nitrates the same way as pond matrix?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39
Administrator

Yes, placing Matrix or Pond Matrix into your sump will be as effective, if not more so, than having many pounds of live rock. “Live” rocks or reef rocks remove nitrate by anaerobic denitrification. Pond Matrix removes nitrate by the same process. However, efficiency is magnified several folds by forcing the water to filter through the porous Pond Matrix. As with reef rock, anaerobic conditions are achieved by the porosity and the depletion of oxygen by the aerobic process at the surface. Because of the number and size of the internal pores, which create lots of anaerobic surface area, Pond Matrix houses denitrifying bacteria in both fresh and saltwater.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35

Is it possible to have too much pond matrix? If I put 15 gallons of pond matrix into my sump, will it benefit my system to add more?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03

I meant to say too much pond matrix in a under stocked 120g tank with a 40g sump.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:08
Administrator

Hi Terrance,

There is absolutely no harm in having more Pond Matrix than recommended; in fact, the more you have, the more beneficial bacteria it will house.

Have a good day!