Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55

Expiration date for Metronidazole, NeoPlex, KanaPlex

Hello, I'm curious if these med's are still good? I purchase them back in 2007. Is there a shelf life for the med's? I have a fin/ tail rot currently on my Clarki and Tomato Clown Fish. There in a reef stock with plenty of corals and would like to use one of these med's. Any particular one you suggest over the other, are they all reef safe? Should I also use Focus with them as well? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41

Re: Expiration date for Metronidazole, NeoPlex, KanaPlex

Hi torreyd1,

Most medications have an expiry date. This is due to the loss of effectiveness of the active component over time. I do suggest you to look for the expiry date on the product packaging. It is difficult to ascertain the expiry date as the production date and the purchase date will differ.

The products you mentioned above are all antibiotic-based. I have used Kanamycin, Neomycin and Metronidazole for the purpose of coral susceptibility tests before. Most corals reacted to them by shrinking or partially retracting their polyps. I do not suggest the use of the products you mentioned in the display. I do recommend you to move the affected fish to a hospital tank for treatment. I do suggest you to change 25-50% of the hospital tank water and run activated carbon based filtration for 2-3 days after the treatment phase to remove any residual medication.

The only medication product in SeaChem's product line that I know of that is coral compatible is Reef Dip. GarlicGuard may or may not be coral compatible. According to my experience, corals do react slightly to the presence of garlic compounds. The extent of the adverse impact to them is unknown. The use of garlic in reef tanks remains a controversy as some users reported reactions by their corals to the addition of garlic into the tank water. To err to the side of caution, I do not recommend the use of garlic in reef tank.

I would recommend Kanamycin based products, such as KanaPlex, for the purpose of treating fin rot. The reason I recommend KanaPlex is due to fin rot can be the result of bacterial infection or fungal infection. For the case of bacterial infection, secondary fungal infection is not uncommon. KanaPlex has the ability to treat several fungal and bacterial infections. More information on KanaPlex can be found at it's product page <http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/KanaPlex.html>,

Focus is primarily used for the treatment of internal bacterial infection. It can be used alone or with other medication. Focus will help bind the medication to fish food, this will prevent loss of medication to water and allows sufficient amount of medication to be consumed by fish together with the food. This will allow the medication to be localized at the gut of the fish to be absorbed. This is only useful to internal infections as external infections treatments mostly rely on the medication to be delivered to the water, as this provides more contact opportunity to the target organism than when the medication is internally absorbed. I do not recommend the use of Focus for this case as the application of Focus will not have much effect. More information on Focus can be found on it's product page <http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Focus.html>.

I am an aquarist whom has no relation to SeaChem. This is my personal view. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48
Seachem Employee

Hello,

The medicines have a shelf life of three years, so they should be fine to use. Though they would all be effective, I would suggest using the KanaPlex since you have fin rot. I would suggest using Focus if you plan to feed the medication to the fish, as it acts like a binder to the food. If you plan to dose the tank, you will not need Focus. Thanks for your questions and have a great day!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57
Seachem Employee

Thank you madscientist for your much appreciated input!
Old 02-09-2009, 13:46

Thanks you (two)! I did notice on one of the bottles a 2010 expiration date but the other 2 have been rubbed off. I do see a (1jp3a) close to the bar code, if this help's. Other than that KanaPlex will be used. I can't catch the fish without breaking down the system, so I most definelty will be adding it into my system and prey for the best. I've already had a luck with these 2 not fighting and holpefully they become a matted pair. They've been living together for a good 2 years now. The clarki is the femail and the tomato is the male. If the number I listed above isn't enough help, I will just purchase more I assume. Once again I thank the 2 of you, for your immediate response.
Old 02-09-2009, 17:03
Seachem Employee

No problem and please let us know if we can be of further assistance!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:04

Hi torreyd1,

Chances of conspecies mating depends on various factors. Your fish may or may not mate

I will recommend you to use a food bait to try to get the fish into the container for transport to other tank. If this is not possible, you can use binders to bind the medication to food so as to reduce the diffusion of the medication into the tank water. I have used gelatin as a binder for food and medication with relatively high success rates. Alternatively, you can use artificial polymer binder such as SeaChem's Focus.

There are suggestions that calcium may reduce the toxicity of aminoglycoside antibiotics such as Kanamycin and Neomycin. It could be caused by the calcium binding capability of these antibiotics.

Given this possible interaction with calcium, I do not recommend the dosage of Kanamycin to calcium enhanced water.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18
Administrator

Thanks for the post, madscientist :-)