Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > Sunken Gardens

Old 07-29-2009, 22:32

Non-Phosphate Buffer dosing (Seachem acid and alkaline buffers )

I'm finding the instructions for Seachem acid buffer and Seachem alkaline buffer quite confusing. Some forums state the ratios are dose:dose ratios, not weight:weight ratio. However, my Seachem bottle says " for best results base ratio on weight of product added". To further clarify the issue, could someone please answer the following scenarios based on the Seachem product recommendations? ( I understand some tinkering will be needed with doses for individual tanks, my question is - what does the product label initially recommend).
TANK: established 80l (20 gallon) moderately planted tank with no CO2 injection and soft water (KH 1, GH 3), aiming for a target pH buffered at 6.5. No phosphate buffers added. Light fish load (15 Cardinals).
How many grams of each product, and at what frequency, would be added if:
1) the tank pH is 7.0
2) the tank pH is 6.0
3) If my tank has achieved the stable target pH of 6.5 and I am doing a 20l (5 gallon) water change with tap water pH 7.5, KH 1 GH 3
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19
Administrator

Re: Non-Phosphate Buffer dosing (Seachem acid and alkaline buffers )

The instructions for Acid and Alkaline Buffer are dose-to-dose. I will try and clarify the following statement: for best results, base ratio on weight of product added. Here is an example of what we mean by this: the instructions for Acid Buffer state to use 2 g (1⁄4 teaspoon) to every 80 L (20 gallons). It is simply more accurate to weigh the amount of product in grams than to add the buffers based on teaspoons. However, we realize that not everyone has a balance on which to measure grams; therefore, we give the instructions based on teaspoons as well.

Please keep in mind that these ratios are based on RO/DI water. If adding the buffers directly to the tank, as you alluded to, some variation may be necessary.

If you want to target a pH of 6.5 in a tank with a starting pH of 7.0, then you should add 1 dose of Acid Buffer to 1.3 doses of Alkaline Buffer. For a 20-gallon tank, this would mean 2 g (1⁄4 teaspoon) of Acid Buffer to 18.2 g (about 2.5 teaspoons) of Alkaline Buffer. Of course, if you have a starting pH of 6.0, then you will need to adjust the dosing accordingly. You can add the buffers directly to your tank daily until your desired pH is achieved. Once this has occurred, then you will only need to add the buffers for the volume of the water that you are replacing. Since it is not RO water and has a slightly higher pH than neutral, then you will have to make some adjustments to the dosages.
Old 07-30-2009, 18:11

[QUOTE=Tech Support EH;6402] Of course, if you have a starting pH of 6.0, then you will need to adjust the dosing accordingly. QUOTE]

Thank you for clarifying the dosing volumes for the first scenario. Could you please state the recommended dosing for question 2?Is it the same product weight, being 2g acid buffer and 18.2g alkaline buffer?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25
Administrator

It is not quite as cut and dry when starting with a pH other than 7.0 and therefore takes a bit of experimentation to see how much product it takes to get to your desired pH. (Though this most certainly can be accomplished.) Because you will be starting at a pH lower than 7, and will want to bring the pH up a good bit, you will more than likely need to add more Alkaline Buffer than you would if starting at 7.0. I would try using a ratio of about 1 dose Acid Buffer to 1.5 doses of Alkaline Buffer and see what kind of change you get. If this does not get your pH where you want it to be, then you can always add more of one or the other buffer alone to bring you to the desired pH. Of course, you don't want to have large pH shifts in your tank in a short period of time. I don't mean to to vague, however, because the ratios are based on RO water, it takes a bit of experimentation to know how much of each to add for particular tanks. Hope this helps some, and please let us know if we can try and clarify further.
Old 08-10-2009, 20:01

So, keeping in mind *individual tanks needing their own adjustments*, Seachem instructions for soft water recommend:
For a target pH of 6.5 add 1 dose of acid buffer and 1.3 doses of alkaline buffer, daily until the desired pH is reached. The instructions are the same regardless of starting pH.
To target other pH level just change the dose ratios, for example to target pH 7.0 use 1 dose acid buffer and 2 doses alkaline buffer daily until the desired pH is reached.
1 dose acid buffer is 2g per 80L (20Gal)
1 dose alkaline buffer is 14g per 80L (20 Gal)
Is this correct?
Old 08-10-2009, 23:34

For a pH that low, I'd recommned you have a KH of at least 2.5. I have an aquarium with a pH of 6.5 to 6.8, and my KH is 3 (a 70 gallon freshwater aquarium with about 30 "4 inch" goldfish, and 7 plants like "amazon" and "anacharis"). If you let your pH drop below 5, you can risk killing all of your fish. Why? Because, water with a low or acidic pH w/o adequate buffering and dissolved oxygen can cause a bad redox balance or practically no redox reduction, which all invertebrates and fish cannot tolerate. This is particularly useful for short-term disease/parasite treatments, however, you will notice your fish loosing scales, have open wounds,etc.

Last edited by LabTest57; 08-10-2009 at 23:37.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13
Administrator

Cardinals, yes, that is correct.
* 1 dose of Acid Buffer is 2 grams per 20 gallons, &
* 1 dose of Alkaline Buffer is 14 grams per 20 gallons

So, for a pH of 7.0, you would need 1 dose Acid Buffer and 2 doses Alkaline Buffer.

LabTest57, thank you for your post.

Last edited by Tech Support LK; 08-13-2009 at 09:29.
Old 08-12-2009, 23:37

Thank you EH for confirming Seachem's written instructions.
Labtest 57, thank you also for replying. The values you have in your tank reflect a system with a predicted CO2 concentration of 14 - 28 ppm, well above the 3-4ppm expected in a non CO2 supplemented tank. In a stable body of freshwater with a dKH of 3 the predicted pH is approx 7.5. To obtain a pH lower than this either you are using supplemental CO2 and/or a non carbonate (e.g. phosphate) buffer. Could you please clarify your system?
Reference: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
Old 08-13-2009, 00:22

[QUOTE=LabTest57;6806] If you let your pH drop below 5, you can risk killing all of your fish. Why? Because, water with a low or acidic pH w/o adequate buffering and dissolved oxygen can cause a bad redox balance or practically no redox reduction, which all invertebrates and fish cannot tolerate. QUOTE]

As you can see my ID is "Cardinals". My interest is in providing a stable, acidic environment for my Cardinal Tetras. I would like my pH to be above 5.0 In fact I am aiming for a pH of 6.5, this is to help my nitrogen cycle function adequately, as you know these bacteria do not metabolise well below pH 6.5. This is why I am looking at Seachems acid/alkaline (non-phosphate) buffering system. I note you are a "senior member" of this forum and your comments are supported by Seachem's EH. I appreciate credible factual advice. As you may know the Cardinal Tetra comes from the Rio Negro. I will quote from an interview discussing this Rio Negro biotope by Peter Kriz ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-25886.html )
"Finally, the water in the Rio Negro is intensely acidic. We usually found the pH of the water to be at 4.5. In one area we found the water to be a pH of 3.9 !!! The cause of this, or at least a contributing factor must be the slow moving flow of water coupled with tons upon tons of decomposing driftwood and leaf litter. The amount of fish found by simply going to the edge of the stream, and proceeding to lift up a collecting net full of leaf litter was amazing."
Could you please justify your statements on pH and "redox reduction" (sic) in light of this information, if you are unable to, I ask that you retract it.

Last edited by Cardinals; 08-13-2009 at 18:36.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43

I'm no expert at fish keeping... I know that bacteria, fish, plants, etc. are able to evolve and/or live in different environments. In that part of the world, there may exist different strains of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. Algae, micro-algae, and all other sorts of plants in those natural habitats balance the CO2 and oxygen levels. As for redox, it depends on the minerals, water flow, and decaying matter in those bodies of water. A good balance would include a high amount of electrolytes replenishing the GH mineral ions, etc., however, those that are reducers are the ones that would balance it the most. Here's a list of common reducers (-) and oxidizers (+): http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/images/graphics/reducersoxidizers4.jpg

Although it may seem that cardinals do better in acidic ph, like 4.5, etc., the fact is they don't. There bodies have to get used to it; their organs and glands function differently than cardinal tetras that can live in PH up to 7.8 w/ a GH of 15. Things you have to avoid to keep tetras in a different pH environment is: osmotic shock, and pH shock. pH shock would not be problematic if your able to avoid osmotic shock in your aquarium, however, osmotic shock is caused by a combination of pH, kH, GH, and salt levels that change suddenly. To find out how to properly avoid osmotic shock you must first know how to balance redox (oxidation reduction potential). A very low PH causes two problems: High CO2 levels (oxidation of carbon), and generally high oxidation. You need more reduction to reduce osmotic stress, however, if you increase oxygen levels it will be harder for reducers to increase the reduction potential in the water because they can oxidize very quickly/easily. Most water conditoners are reducers, however, it's better to have a good electrolyte balance and scheduled water changes to replenish common electrolytes like: calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium.

I know many resources for one to find information on redox., but I find this site or html webpage a lot easier to understand: http://www.ceri.com/ffredox.htm

3 things to keep in mind: Have a well established tank (i.e. beneficial bacteria are controlling ammonia and nitrites), keep a balanced redox. or control it to have more reduction potential, and slowly acclimate the fish to the target pH (a pH of 8.0 for cardinal tetras would take about year, because they are a sensitive species).

Last edited by LabTest57; 08-13-2009 at 18:56.