Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 02:02

Purigen and Tetra Aquasafe

Hi
New here

Can I use Tetra Aquasafe water treatment with purigen??
I have read that some types of water dechlorinators can render purigen toxic and useless.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44

Re: Purigen and Tetra Aquasafe

No, amine based slime-coat products can render it toxic and useless.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48

Ok, thanks for that
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46
Administrator

We cannot answer this question fully because we do not know the chemical makep of that product. You should contact the manufacturer and find out if it is amine-based. If the product is amine-based, it will not cause any problems when using them together. The problem arises during the regeneration process. If you were to regenerate the Purigen with an amine-based water conditioner, these amines could combine with the chlorine from bleach (used in regeneration) and form chloramine, which is harmful to the fish. It will not cause this issue until the bleach comes in to play. So, the long and short of it is that you can use Purigen with any water conditioner, but must consider using a non amine-based product in the regeneration process.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21

Am i right in assuming the cyclic amine the prime converts ammonia into will not recombine with the chlorine and create chloramines?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:28

The only way that is possible is if you add chlorine to the water that is being treated with Prime. I think you're trying to see how prime breaks down chlorine; "logically" there's no point in making a water conditoner that allows everything to recombine after it breaks down, however, the molecules that are broken apart are actually converted and detoxified.

Here's what describes that process (read 2nd paragraph of "Why It's Different"): http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

Last edited by LabTest57; 08-11-2009 at 03:37.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17
Administrator

sostoudt, it is completely safe to use Prime in conjunction with and during the regeneration process of Purigen. Because Prime itself is not a slime coat product, (it actually stimulates the fish to produce its own slime coat), it is fine to use Prime for this process.
Old 09-03-2009, 20:01

I use API Stress Coat + and was planning on regenerating my Purigen with this but I don't know what's inside. It doesn't say anything on the bottle.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:09
Administrator

Unfortunately, that particular product is amine-based and is therefore not compatible with Purigen regeneration. It will not allow the Purigen to be properly regenerated.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:10

Okay, I haven't started regenerating it yet other then simply soaking it in bleach and water. What product do you recomend to use to regenerate it then? Clear and simple answer please... I won't hold it against you if you recomend your product. =)