Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2009, 23:34

Purigen recharge process

I went and read this thread all the way through:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/ph-drop-after-recharging-seachem-purigan-emergency-122023.html

Any word on a revised recharge process to prevent this from happening?

At this point, I intend to soak in a fairly large quantity (5 gallons) of well water for 48 hours after recharging, and then test the pH. If it drops, I'll do it again. Then I'll test it with a fairly large quantity of purigen in a jar with an expendable shrimp.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35

Re: Purigen recharge process

The key is to soak it in Prime in very acidic water for at least a day, if your that worried. Then, put the Purigen in buffered water at the pH of your choice or that is the same as the aquarium for at least a day as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 13:17
Administrator

Thanks for the post. On the revised instructions for regenerating Purigen, it is no longer necessary to soak the media in a buffer solution. The instructions are as follows:

Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.

As long as you rinse the media well after the dechlorination step and there is no sign of residual chlorine/bleach, the Purigen should be ready for use. We are currently working on changing the instructions on the website and any labels printed in the future will have that step omitted.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a good day!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34

Just wondering with the bleach, does it matter whether it's domestic bleach (ie scented)?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:09
Administrator

You will want to be sure the bleach is not scented and also does not contain any dyes. Be sure it is 6% sodium hypochlorite bleach. We use Chlorox at Seachem.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20

After 24hr, it's still very dark brown. I've changed the bleach/water solution and will let it soak again, is this a good idea?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16
Administrator

Hello tangcla,

Sometimes the Purigen resin can actually become stained, especially if there are a lot of color bodies, such as tannins in your tank. As long as you have followed the regeneration process as specified, Purigen's ability to further remove organics will be restored, even if the original color does not return.

With that said, it will not harm the resin if you soak it longer in the bleach solution, though you may also need to extend the dechlorination step for up to 10 hours or so.

Have a good day!
Old 08-06-2012, 22:24

Is there any harm in using a stronger bleach:water concentrate? Or even using straight bleach? (taking into account not all bleaches are going to be uniform in strength)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend a stronger solution of bleach, and certainly not straight bleach, as this could potentially harm the resin.

As we stated earlier in this thread, we recommend 6% sodium hypochlorite at a 1:1 bleach to water ratio.

If for some reason, your bleach is less than 6%, then you could do a stronger solution of bleach, but typically most household bleach will be 6%.

Have a good day.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25

I am in Sydney Australia and a keen Seachem user.

I am using Purigen, Flourish, Flourish Excel, Prime and Flourite.

I have recently pulled out the Purigen from my 80 litre feshwater tank, while am medicating for White Spot (Ick) . I still need to then medicate for fin rot - I got a double whammy.

So I thought would take the opportunity to regenerate my purigen sachel for the first time. After a chat to an aquarium veteran, I have over run the process just to be sure.

*** Thanks for adding the Sodium HydroCholrorite ratio. Very helpful and I had a sigh of relief when reading it, as I was worried that trace element will hang around and impact my tank enivornment.
My bleach is 4%, I assume @ (42g/litre) ***

I have :
1. Soak the purigen in 1:1 bleach to water solution for 36 hours
2. Soak the purigen in 2 tablespoons of Prime per cup of water for 16 hours
3. Rinse the purigen well
4. Soak the purigen in 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water and been soaking now for 4-5 days.

The reason I have done the last step is I got real paranoid when I read this post (after I already started) and also after speaking to the veteran (above).

I am now thinking of diluting the buffered solution further with a bucket of RO /tank water and keeping it in there for another 7 or so days until I complete the medication cycle and adding some activated carbon.

My bleach is a White King brand and is lemon scented.

Will the purigen be ok ?

Can I do anything other than what am doing ?

Should I let the purigen dry out in the sun, before using again ?

Is it best to keep it soaked until I am ready to use it again ?

I would appreciate all your help and place my trust and faith inyou and your products

Look forward to your reply

Cheers

Caperz