Re: Cupramine /Absorbs/Spectrum
Thank you for your questions regarding Cupramine. Cupramine is an extremely effective anti-parasitic medication that eradicates ectoparasites of both freshwater and marine fish. Cupramine will not address any bacterial or fungal infections that occur secondarily to the initial parasitic infection, though it also will certainly not suppress the immune systems of the affected fish either. Should there be evidence of a secondary infection, we stress not to use any other medications while there is still copper in the system; doing so may lead to the potential of drug interactions in which the copper may be reduced to a form that is toxic to the fish. Our recommendation in this case is to complete the entire course of treatment with Cupramine, remove all copper from the system, and then treat for the secondary infection if necessary.
Ideally, one should try and use a copper-based medication like Cupramine in a bare-bottom hospital tank, though we know that this is not an option for everyone. The only way to know whether or not the copper has reached the appropriate concentration for therapeutic use is to test for its presence and concentration with a copper test kit. Doing so will allow you to know the following:
1) the copper is not being absorbed by anything, and is therefore at the proper concentration, &
2) after completing the treatment, you can test to make sure that all copper has been removed from the system
We hope to have addressed your questions, but please let us know if we can help you further. Again, thank you for using Cupramine, and we wish you much success with it!