Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > Sunken Gardens

Old 07-27-2011, 10:18

Seachem Flourish complete and Trace

I just purchased the Flourish range of products such as Iron, Phosphate, Nitrogen, Flourish Complete and Excel. I still have a bottle of ADA Brighty K which is for potassium. I have a CO2 tank which currently runs my tank close to 20-30ppm from a drop checker (dark green). It runs for 8 hours together with my lights which I would say is medium light. My tank is only 6G but is heavily planted with mainly slow growing plants like hairgrass, annubias nana, Staurogyne sp, and fissiden. I have some Hortworth which is really the only fast growing plant. After some explosive growth, my plants and pearling seems to have tapered off. I am starting to get some pin holes and even yellow in the middle of old leaves in my annubias and staurogyne. A few of my Staurogyne melted away. Strangely around the time I introduced purigen into my system I put in the 100ml pack and maybe it was too much. My water was super clear and looked almost too clean. I have since took out the Purigen and left only around 20% in my hob filter. My water perimeters are as follows.

PH - 6.5-6.8
KH - 1 at the moment. My tap water is very soft and I have been adding Baking Powder a little when I do water change
GH - 4 - Again my tap water. Been adding Equalibrum and Prime during water change to keep this up (I am a Seachem fan as you can see)
Phosphate - Almost 0mg/l as tested this morning
ADA Amazonia soil in this tank which is around 2 months old.

I been dosing ADA Brighty K at 1ML every day as per their intructions (understand thats around 3.75ppm) when I searched on the web.

Not much algae problem except for slight BBA on some strands of hairgrass and some green algae growth on a bogwood in the center.

1. Can I safely dose Excel at 2.5ml day 1 with 0.5ml for next 5 days even with my CO2 running?

2. Can I combine equal amounts of iron and Excel in a pre-mixed bottle and does 1ML (0.5ml iron & 0.5ml excel) daily instead?

3. Can I do without flourish trace and just use complete? Too many bottles already :-p What should I increase my floruish complete amount to then?

4. Can I combine phosphate and nitrogen in a premix bottle and does 0.6ml on day 1 and 4 (0.3ml + 0.3ml) instead?

5. For potassium, I would like to finish using my ADA Brighty K. Can you advice me if I should just proceed with the ADA daily dosage or can I put 2 ml on the days that seachem recommends? (day 3 and 5)

I think thats all I have!! Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07
Administrator

Re: Seachem Flourish complete and Trace

Thank you for your questions and strong support of Seachem.

Do you happen to know what your aquarium's nitrogen level?

The fact that your phosphate level is zero may be part of the reason why you are seeing deficiency symptoms. In general, a good Phosphate:Nitrate ratio is about 1:10.

I will answer your questions in the order they were presented for the sake of clarity:

1) You can dose the Flourish Excel as recommended on the label, but please take into account the actual volume of water present when calculating the initial dosage. Many people do not calculate this to adequately account for the volume of water displaced by substrate, plants, and other materials in the aquarium. The fact that you have CO2 running does not change the amount that you dose necessarily, but keep in mind that the higher the CO2 level, the less oxygen carrying capacity the water has. Based on this, you may adjust the amount of Flourish Excel down a little to account for high CO2 since Flourish Excel is a reducing agent (can potentially reduce oxygen level).

2) We do not recommend combining the Flourish Iron and Flourish Excel as you will get precipitation effect.

3) The reason that we have 2 separate products with respect to Flourish and Flourish Trace is because of the risk of organic overload using only Flourish. Flourish Comprehensive contains nutrients and other organics that the Flourish Trace does not contain. This is the reason why you only dose the Flourish 1-2 times per week. If you dose it every day, you could cause some algae issues because of the organics. Flourish Trace only contains trace minerals that are depleted rapidly and thus should be used on days when the Flourish is not used.

4) Yes; you can combine the Phosphorus and Nitrogen to dose one single solution, but I would recommend monitoring the phosphate:nitrate ratio in the aquarium to ensure it is well-balanced.

5) It shouldn't make much difference if you dose daily or up the dose and add it less frequently. It is up to you.

I hope this helps Please let us know if we can assist you further.
Old 07-27-2011, 19:52

Thanks for your quick reply.

How do I ascertain my tanks nitrogen level? I have not started dosing nitrogen so I guess it should be very low or non existence?

For the nitrogen/phosphate ratio of 10:1. Is there a lower or upper limit in mg/l or ppm? If I can afford to change my water 50% a week, could I run it at the upper limit and use the water change to reset it? I was hoping to not need to do so many test every few days to know my water condition.

1. Understood on excel dosing.

2. Understood on excel and iron mixing.

3. Understood on flourish trace.

4. Understood.

5. Understood.

For the dropper type bottles which I intend to store the flourish range of products, how many drops typically make a ml?
Old 07-28-2011, 15:21
Administrator

You cannot assume a nitrogen level of zero because you could very well have a measurable amount of nitrate present from fish waste, uneaten food, etc. I would suggest testing the nitrate level.

I wouldn't recommend going beyond 20mg/L of Nitrate. Using the 1:10 ratio, that gives you a max of 2ppm phosphate. Your aquarium may very well handle the upper limits without issue, but this is dependent upon too many variables for me to say "yes" with confidence. If you have high growth rates, strong lighting, and healthy plants then this EI method may work very well for you.
Old 07-28-2011, 15:33
Administrator

Typically, 20 large drops or 25 small drops make up 1mL.
Old 07-28-2011, 21:50

[QUOTE=Tech Support LK;9581]You cannot assume a nitrogen level of zero because you could very well have a measurable amount of nitrate present from fish waste, uneaten food, etc. I would suggest testing the nitrate level.

I wouldn't recommend going beyond 20mg/L of Nitrate. Using the 1:10 ratio, that gives you a max of 2ppm phosphate. Your aquarium may very well handle the upper limits without issue, but this is dependent upon too many variables for me to say "yes" with confidence. If you have high growth rates, strong lighting, and healthy plants then this EI method may work very well for you.[/QUOTE]

I have been testing my nitrates since the start, I had a slight nitrate when I was in the 3rd week of cycling but since then (now 8 weeks) my nitrite and nitrate levels has always been zero. I have very low 0.5mg/.l or less base on my sera ammonia test kit, but then I use prime. So base on my low levels of nitrate, I have to assume I have almost no nitrogen right? unless my plants have been so efficient at taking it up.
Old 07-29-2011, 14:42
Administrator

If you have not been dosing Flourish Nitrogen and your nitrate levels are practically zero, then you can assume a nitrogen level of zero. Nitrogen and Phosphorus are commonly limiting factors for the plants so I would definitely recommend beginning to dose these supplements.