Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 03:12

Prime questions...

I haven't been active for quite a while.

1)Anyway, I actually forgot how long Seachem Prime "binds" nitrates or how long nitrates can stay inert when Prime is used at standard dose?

Hopefully it's a permanent conversion to an inert state.

2) How much ppm (on average or estimated) of Nitrate is binded when using the 5x emergency dose of Seachem Prime?

Thank you, your response will be most appreciated.

Regards,
John
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58
Administrator

Re: Prime questions...

Welcome back LabTest57! It has been a while!

1. Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released. Of course, we are more concerned with ammonia and nitrites, rather than nitrates.

2. Unfortunately, we do not have this information. I'm sure you have read this, but in case you have not.

Q: How does Prime make a difference in reducing Nitrates?

A: The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.
I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-14-2011, 16:32

thanks for the information.

More questions.....

1) I know some water conditioners that take approximately 5 minutes to react with chlorine/chloramine and ammonia, however, I would like to know If Seachem Prime reacts to these compounds as fast or faster?

2) Does the pH of the water, for which Prime has been added to, affect the conversion time of chlorine/chloramine to ammonia and chloride?
Old 10-14-2011, 16:36
Administrator

You are welcome!

1. Prime works immediately upon adding it to the water.

2. Prime works immediately regardless of the water's pH.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-14-2011, 16:39

Thank you very much for the info. and that takes care of all my questions for Prime :)
Old 10-14-2011, 16:40
Administrator

No problem! :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 17:24

So why does the chemical bond that detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate fail after 24-48 hours?
It is perhaps a moot point in an established aquarium, but can be a large issue in a newer setup.

Would it be safe to add the recommended dose of Prime every 24 hours for an extended period?
Are there any negatives in doing this? In such a case, will the repeatedly dosed Prime become inert in the water chemistry?

Thanks for your attention.

AD
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18
Administrator

Thank you for your questions, Abbeysdad. All water conditioners only have the ability to bind to ammonia, nitrites and/or nitrates for a limited period of time; Prime actually will do this for a longer period than any other product available. You're correct; in an established tank, the beneficial bacteria will consume these things within this time period. However, in a new setup or cycling tank, we recommend dosing Prime every 48 hours to keep the ammonia/nitrites detoxified. As long as you are using Prime as directed, there is no harm in adding it this frequently for an extended period of time. Every 24 hours should not really be necessary, as it will remain active for up to 48 hours. We hope this answers your questions!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48

Thank-you. I have a follow-up question...
Often new tank setups face an ammonia spike as the beneficial bacteria colony is not established enough to handle. It is my understanding that high levels of ammonia will inhibit beneficial bacteria growth. If Prime is used to detox the ammonia, will this be beneficial for bacteria development or should water changes be done instead to reduce the ammonia concentration.

Thank-you,
AD
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52
Administrator

That is a very good question. Fortunately, even when bound to Prime, the ammonia will provide enough of a food source for the beneficial bacteria to survive and reproduce. Using Prime during cycling will not starve off any bacterial colonies, and there will still be a sufficient food source.