Corporate Products Support Library Purchasing Contact Home

Seachem Tech Support is available to answer questions posted to this forum Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Questions posted over the weekend will be addressed the following Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Go Back   Seachem Support Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 23:08

Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start?

Which would be best? I like Stability because I like the Seachem Prime product so I'm assuming since they are the same company, it must be a good product as well. But I read all over the internet that TSS is best, but all I find are posts from a year ago or something. Maybe things have changed.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12
Administrator

Re: Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start?

Good morning, and thank you for your questions. I must say, as a representative of Seachem, I am a little partial to Stability:) However, let me tell you why Stability is such a sound and proven product.

Stability contains nitrifying, denitrifying and facultative bacteria; these types of bacteria can adapt to different types of environments and react accordingly. While in the bottle, the bacteria are in a spore, or dormant, form. The spore-like form is a characteristic of the bacteria being used and allows us to keep a more viable product for longer. Because of this, there is no need for refrigeration as with competing products, as the bacteria do not become fully active until dosed to the aquarium. This also allows for a longer shelf life (4 years) than one will get with other bacterial supplements.

Stability is one of the most, if not the most, concentrated bacterial supplements available on the market. The bacterial concentration in Stability is 26.4 million cfu/mL, that is, colony-forming units/mL. Another one of the benefits of using this product is the environmental tolerance. Because of this environmental tolerance, the bacterial colonies can sustain themselves much more efficiently when exposed to stressful conditions. In these scenarios, the bacteria contained within Stability would certainly out-compete other bacteria that are not quite as enduring.

We hope that this information had been helpful. We are not here to degrade another company's products, but I hope that this information will help guide you to make a more educated decision.

Let us know if you have further questions and have a nice day.
Old 05-08-2012, 23:49

I'm sorry I didn't see this before now. But I have to stand up for Stability.

Before I found Stability I used Safe Start and each time I used it I got a bacteria bloom in my tank. It also costs twice as much as Stability for I think half as much product if memory serves. I threw my bottle away more than half full.

Now I've been through several bottles of Stability and never seen a bloom with it. I just don't think there's anything better to use for starting up a new tank.

Until the tank is well established I've been using it after every water change. My freshwater tank doesn't need it anymore. But I'm starting up a salt water tank and while it's cycled I've found my nitrites climbing (0.1 ppm) so I dose it with Stability and the nitrites go away fairly quickly. It makes a HUGE difference.

With my fresh water tank I just found that using Stability and Prime made it simple to get it going and going well.

And now I'm in my forth week starting up my marine reef tank and even though I used live rock I'm adding Stability just about every day and certainly after every water change. I wouldn't dream of starting a tank without it. Nor would I run a tank without Purigen and Matrix either. :-) And throw in some Phosguard & Matrix Carbon as well for my marine tank.

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59
Administrator

Hi Chris,

We can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a nice testimonial for Stability! We do tend to be a little biased, but I think that having a non-partial person write such nice things about it will really help others to understand its benefits.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we are very glad that it has proven successful for you! Have a wonderful day!
Old 05-11-2012, 00:23

You're welcome. :-) Thank you for saving my fish! :-)

I myself am new to this wonderful hobby as of December when my little girl wanted a fish tank, so I got her a little one. Well, after two failures of the tank in short order, I did not get it going until I found Seachem and learned from all the extremely valuable information they have here and started using all their products. I really appreciate all the technical documents Seachem has and FAQ's, etc. This documentation is what really got me going with Seachem products and I am SO GLAD that I did.

What I learned about my freshwater tank helped me get the marine tank going. And it's successfully going today because of Seachem products and the information Seachem provides on teh website and forum.

So all I can say to those who are trying to use some Seachem stuff with stuff from other companies is dump the other companies stuff and find the product that Seachem has that will do what you are looking to do. Once I did that I just had an easy time with everything. It was in fact trivial to get the freshwater tank going once I learned what Seachem products to use.

I'll also say that while I'm getting a tank going I generally will test the water twice a day for nitrites and nitrates with a cheap test strip. Then if I see anything strange on the strip then I bring out the big kit and get the real numbers. But I'm really looking for any trace of nitrites & nitrates. If I see any I dose the tank with Stability. But you should also be looking at Ammonia as well if you don't know you don't have any. I did use the Seachem Ammonia alert in the tank. And I've found with the marine tank that when I do see any nitrites or nitrates that all I have to do is dose the tank and they go away and I finally added even more Matrix. This is new to me because once I brought my freshwater tank up fully on Seachem products I never had any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates from day one and five months later I still haven't had any levels above 0. Since I already had 8 fish I had to keep them safe and the way I did it I just never saw anything above 0. But it took me 4 weeks to get the tank cycled because while the Purigen was protecting my fish it prolonged the cycle which was just fine. I just kept adding Stability all along until I knew the cycle was complete. I didn't really know when it cycled except for when the diatoms came. Then I threw in some Phosguard and it helped take care of that. Wish I had known before to use Phosguard to start with. :-) I've learned a lot.... :-) But still so much more to learn. So please keep those white papers coming. :-)

So yes, I am a big, big fan and supporter of Seachem products. I don't understand why everyone isn't using only Seachem. My only complaint is that I can't get Seachem products locally. I had to drive over 100 miles to get hold of the Aqua Vitro products for my marine tank. But it was worth it. :-)

So my advice to anyone who is new to all this as I was is this: USE SEACHEM! Learn from the documents on their website, look at the questions and answers in the forums, read the product FAQs.
And Prime & Stability are your best friends when starting a tank at a minimum. And ask questions. The support Seachem provides in the forums and the website documentation were the main things that initially convinced me to go all out with Seachem in the first place. I just didn't see that from anywhere else.

Ok, I'll say one more thing. My formula for a successful freshwater tank is this: Get a really good canister filter that will turn the entire volume of water over in the tank at least 10 times an hour. Use Prime & Stability every day if you are cycling with fish assuming you have any Ammonia and/or Nitrites otherwise just use Stability every day. Be sure to fill up one tray in the canister with Matrix. Put plenty of Purigen in another tray such that it doesn't allow any water around it. You want it to flow through the Purigen, not around it. I put my Purigen after the Matrix in the water flow, though I think Seachem recommends putting it before the Matrix. I still don't quite understand why they say that. Oh, and don't forget the Phosguard. Stuff it in there where you have room. Although with a planted tank you'll probably want to pull that out once the diatoms clear up. Also put live plants in the tank and get at least one that grows fast and it will take a lot of nutrients from the water and help keep the tank very stable. Oh, and don't forget to use Flourite for the substrate. And use the Flourish products for healthy plants. Although if I had a bigger freshwater tank and more variety of plants I would have gotten the Aqua Vitro products for the plants, but the Flourish products do produce beautiful healthy plants. And yes, my daughter got me to buy a 3 gallon tank from Walmart but it now has a Fluval 206 canister filter on it. :-) But it's a beautiful little tank now. I personally think buying the best filter you can get makes all the difference in the world. Don't get a filter that is just good enough. Ok, you can stop laughing now. :-) But it works! So what if my filter is bigger than my tank. :-) I also built a custom LED light fixture for it which is just great for the plants. I also built a controller using an arduino for the LEDs, and pH probe that with my controller controlling the CO2 I can maintain my pH within +/-0.02 and the plants grow like crazy. :-) The one problem with such a powerful filter on a small tank is that it drives all the CO2 out of the water and without it my pH would stay around 8.3, but with the CO2 & pH probe I can set the pH wherever I want it. Yeah, I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought that $30 tank from Walmart. I didn't even know what a cycle was then.

I'm still working on my marine tank so I don't have a formula for that one yet. :-) But I do have 1.5L of Matrix along with a more than a pound of live rock per gallon, Purigen, Phosguard, and Matrix Carbon and it's doing really great so far. But it's at least not a Walmart tank. :-) It's a JBJ 24 gallon.

While the small tanks are much harder to maintain, you do learn a lot from them if you are willing to put in the time. If you aren't then don't bother with a small tank. Unless you use my formula above. :-)

So I hope my babbling helps someone get their new tank going well. I just firmly believe that using all Seachem products and a great filter you will create a beautiful symphony in your tank and a safe wonderful home for your new friends.

Chris
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16
Administrator

Wow, Chris! I hope that others will see this and learn from your experiences! When it comes to this hobby, education is key, as it is extremely important to make sure that we are keeping these animals in water that closely mimics their natural environment to ensure optimum health.

It is Seachem's stance that anyone can be successful in the hobby when armed with the knowledge and the right tools to do it. We do not want to see anyone fail and subsequently give up on keeping tanks, and that is why our products aim to help the users be successful. We hope that your little girl is enjoying the tanks as much as it sounds like you are!