Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I mix Seachem Fertilsers for a dispenser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mix Seachem Fertilsers for a dispenser?

Hi, I regularly dose Seachem Excel, Iron, Flourish, Trace and Potassium every day/other day. I am going on vacation for 2 weeks and I have a heavily planted aquarium which also has CO2 on a timer. This is the first time I have been on a two week vacation since I set the tank up. I have found an automatic fertiliser doser that holds about 100ml. Can I add up all of my scheduled doses of the products above for a period of 2 weeks, and add them to the device's container as a mixed "fertiliser solution" that is then automatically dispensed at about 7.5 ml per day?

Re: Can I mix Seachem Fertilsers for a dispenser?

We do not typically recommend mixing these products as it can reduce their effectiveness. It would be better to have multiple dosers and add each fertilizer individually. If course, you can always try the mix now while you are home and see if it works out ok. It would be better to try it now than while you are out of town and not around to notice any negative effects.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. If the wide range of products is contributing to the problem would combining say Flourish and Trace be okay? I could for 2 weeks exclude Excel because I have CO2 and perhaps the plants would not suffer too much much without Iron or Potassium for 2 weeks?

What do you guys do when you go on vacation for 2 weeks? This is the first time I have had this problem and maybe I am over-reacting and a lact of fertilisation for 2 weeks won't be a problem?

Kind Regards, David

Comment

That would probably be ok but I would try it out for a few days before leaving for two weeks. The Flourish contains a wide variety of nutrients and would be a good choice to use along side the Trace. I really think the plants would be fine for two weeks without any fertilizers but better safe than sorry if you have the doser.

I can't remember the last time I had a 2 week vacation but I have had a few that were 5-7 days. I generally do not worry about dosing while I am gone. My plants seem to do fine for 7 days without any fertilizers. I don't use CO2 either, but they seem to be in perfect shape when I get home. I do use a nutrient rich substrate, Seachem Flourite, and I believe they get what nutrients they need to survive. I do not think it would be a problem to use the doser the way you would like to just make sure and test it for a few days so you do not come home to a algae covered tank or withering plants.

Comment

Thank you for the advice and guidance, really helpful.
          Many Thanks, David

Comment

You are most welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X