Cycling using stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling using stability

Hello ok so I'm on day 20 trying to do a fishless cycle. This is my first tank. At the start I filled tank with dechlorinated water and dosed ammonia. I wanted nearly 2 weeks for the ammonia to begin to drop I had started to use stability around this time. I dosed for 7 days as instructed and stopped then. I finally have a nitrite readying and the following day I had a nitrate reading that day I doses ammonia back to 2ppm. Since then I have had no nitrite reading and I can't figure it out. I'm testing using api master test kit. My nitrate reading is like dark yellow I wouldn't say it's the 5ppm on the api test chart just yet. Can you advise me what to do to get this finished please.

I ran a fish-in cycle and it was one of the most trying and frustrating things I've done. Numerous daily water changes and so on. I dosed Stability every day, the full amount. However, I also bought some Marineland Freshwater Bio Spira and the next day my tank was cycled. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not with the Bio Spira.

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply I still have no nitrite or nitrate readings

Comment

Here are some notes and hints to use when cycling with Stability:

Thank you for your email. Here are some additional tips and information regarding using Stability to cycle a tank.

We also suggest the use of Prime as well to detoxify any ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during the cycle. Please see below:

The product Stability will seed all of the bacteria colonies needed to develop a healthy nitrogen cycle. Thus, by the end of the first week of dosing, your tank should have had some readings for ammonia and possible nitrite if an ammonia source was added. However, it may take some time after these first seven days of treatment with Stability for the bacteria colonies to grow to match the amount of waste available in the tank. The actual cycle process can take anywhere from 1 week to 8-10 weeks depending on the system.

If you are seeing some ammonia or nitrites, then the bacteria should be working to convert ammonia through the cycle. The rate at which these bacteria colonies grow is dependent on stability of pH, temperature, availability of suitable surfaces on which to grow, and many other factors. We have heard of tanks that have been completely cycled by a few days after the week of treatment with Stability, but most tanks require at least three weeks total to cycle completely. To facilitate/speed up the cycle, you will need a continued source of ammonia. This can be from fish, fish food, or household ammonia.

If you choose to add a few fish to provide the ammonia needed to grow you bacteria colonies to the size needed to keep a tank full of fish stable, but you will want to be adding Prime every 48 hours as long as there is ammonia or nitrite present in the tank. If you choose not to add fish, you will need to add some source of ammonia to feed the newly added bacteria. You can also use fish food, or household ammonia as mentioned above in the place of fish if you choose to go this route. Ammonia will typically need to peak between 1-2 ppm to facilitate the cycle. If levels have been consistently low on ammonia thus far, you will need to add more organics to the tank. It is best to avoid water changes if possible as this will simply prolong the cycle process as you are removing ammonia and organics before they can peak in the appropriate range.

You can use Prime every 48 hours to keep your ammonia and nitrite bound in a nontoxic form until your tank is fully cycled. This dose will detoxify 1 mg/L of ammonia or nitrite, and should be plenty to prevent any harm to your fish from these compounds. If you want to give the system another boost, then you can use a booster dose of Stability at any time to add some additional bacteria in the event that some has been compromised during your cycle time. In addition, a good bio media such as Matrix (Seachem. Matrix) in your filter would also help as it would give more surface area for colonization of beneficial bacteria.

Prime can be used to detoxify up to 5ppm of ammonia as each recommended dose will detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia. If you have high ammonia or a combination of ammonia and nitrate, you can safely dose up to 5x the recommended dose.

I hope this is helpful, have a great day!

Comment

Working...
        X