X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paraguard

Hello,
    3 questions:
    1. Will paraguard stain an acrylic tank? I am not worried about decorations, only the walls of my new 220 gal tank.

2. Is paraguard safe for 'scaleless' fish, like loaches?

3. It is now 5 days since I transferred my livestock from a crowded 70 gal to the new 220. Transfered fitlers too, 3 fluval 405s fully cycled and the substrate from the old set up. Params fine, 0 ammonia & nitrites, about 10 nitrates, ph 7.4 both old and new tank.

All seem to be doing well, except a large 4" celebes halfbeak. On day 3 she developed several largish (5mm) irregular shaped white patches on the skin. They are not cottony. They look more like 'blisters', but they are not raised, so i dont think there is any fluid therein. There is also some fin deterioration.

I am dosing the whole tank with paraguard--20 capfulls each morning, carbon removed from filters. I am on the 2nd day, condition is not worse. Fish eats and appears behaviorally normal.

Does paraguard seem to be the right course of action? I also have kanamycin and metro on hand (and focus and garlic guard) . Any advice? Thanks.

Re: Paraguard

i was able to photograph the halfbeak. hopefully the attachment will upload properly, let's see...
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your questions, as well as for sharing the picture with us. I hope to be able to answer your questions:

1) Paraguard does contain some malachite green, thus giving the product itself a bluish-green tint. In my experience, it does not stain acrylic.

2) When using Paraguard in tanks containing scaleless fishes, we generally recommend starting with 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose and slowly working up to the full dose. This will allow for slower acclimation of the fish, as well as giving you an opportunity to monitor them closely for any signs of stress.

3) Because it is really quite difficult to know the causative agent that you are dealing with, Paraguard is a good option, as it is a broad spectrum medication. I would stick with it and dose it daily for about 21 days.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Thanks for the info. You guys are great.

Comment

You're very welcome, and I apologize for our delay in response.

Comment

resurrecting this thread... I am dosing paraguard in my 220 gal tank because several neon tetras are showing cottonmouth. I am using half recommended dose due scaleless fish. What are your thoughts about doing 1/2 dose in the AM and then another 1/2 dose in the PM, since paraguard has such a short active life in the tank. Thanks!!

Comment

Thanks for your question. I think dosing 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening would be a great idea. Good luck treating your fish.

Comment

Working...
              X