Prime and nitrites?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime and nitrites?

Hi, The dosage amount to remove nitrites is not on the instructions, would you advise please?

Also, please confirm that once water is treated with Prime the ammonia/nitrites will still show up on water test results even if detoxified. Thanks.

Re: Prime and nitrites?

Hi Fishmerised,

I too am interested in the answer to Your dosage question...I just over-dose Prime and the only problem that I am aware of is that it can reduce the amount of available Oxygen, but let's wait for Seachem on that.

I already asked the question about the test result's so, here's the link :

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=362

The answer is Yes, for both Nitrites and Ammonia. However, I use the Ammonia Alerts, because they only read Free (Toxic) Ammonia and they work. Just follow the Instructions and give them up to a few days to equilibrate with the water--they usually start working in a few hours.

HTH

Comment

The dosage requirements when using Prime for removal of ammonia/nitrites if the numbers are high is 5 times the recommended dose. The recommended dose is 5mL for every 50 gallons. If you have a test that test for total ammonia it can still show ammonia. It would be best to get a test that reads free ammonia like our Multitest Ammonia. To lower ammonia/nitrites long term you may want to consider dosing with Stability to establish bacteria that will consume ammonia/nitrite along with biological media. Matrix is a biological media that is very porous with a high surface area and will house 40x more bacteria than bio-balls.

Comment

Thanks Naja and TS-GL for your replies. :)

I wonder if you could be more specific regarding nitrite levels and what you consider to be "high" readings?

I have been asked to put together a research submission for a goldfish forum about cycling with Prime instead of regular water changes with the aim of keeping free nitrites under .25ppm.

My own experience is to use half recommended dose of Prime daily with ammonia/nitrite levels under 1ppm. Use full dose daily if levels are between 1-2ppm. Levels over 2ppm use recommended dose daily after 50% water change. Quite a few people have tried this method successfully and reduced the length of the cycle as the ammonia/nitrites are still available instead of being removed by water changes. No fish have died or appeared ill or stressed using this formula.

However, before I am able to formally submit this "research" I need some figures to support my observations.
        Last edited by fishmerised; 12-19-2006, 07:33. Reason: delete a comment

Comment

Is nitrite more toxic as ph drops then?

Can't say I've read about that.

Why is that?

Let's have the science. :-)

Comment

Thanks for the question.

Yes; nitrite is more toxic at lower pH levels. Two forms of nitrite are present in water: the nitrite ion (NO2-) and nitrous acid (HNO2). The amount of each of these that will be present is pH dependent and as the pH decreases the HNO2 form increases. The form HNO2 can diffuse freely across gill membranes and is much more toxic than the nitrite ion. One article that can be referenced in regard to this information is the following:

Chen, J.C., Cheng, S.Y., 1999. Recovery of Penaeus monodon from functional anaemia after exposure to sublethal concentration of nitrite at different pH levels. Aquatic Toxicol. 50, 73-83
            Last edited by Tech Support LK; 01-27-2010, 12:24.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

I knew that ammonia increase in toxicity with higher temperature and increasing pH.

Do you know if there is a way to work out the percentage of NO2 to HNO2 like there is with NH3 and NH4?

So do the test kits out there really talking about 'total nitrite' or do they actually measure NO2, and why is HNO2 ignored if it is more toxic?

Comment

You're welcome. I am not aware of any readily available chart like the one for ammonia. I am sure there is one out there, but it may take some searching to locate one. I will see what I can do.
                From what we can tell, and we cannot comment on all nitrite tests, most kits are going to give you a value that is representative of total nitrite, not just the NO2 form.

Comment

Thanks for this.

This is very interesting.

So how much more toxic is HNO2 over NO2. I assume NO2 is not very toxic then?

I find it odd that none of the aquarium industry test kits mention they do Total Nitrite. At least with Ammonia test kits they usually say "Total Ammonia NH3/NH4".

Why for example does Seachem not quote NO2/HNO2 in their MultiTest Nitrite box?
                  So as not to confuse their customers? :-)

Comment

Because it is still nitrite, it is just in a different form. Both forms are still toxic, its just that the HNO2 form seems to be toxic at lower levels than the NO2 form. To be quite honest, I am certain that referring to the two different types on a test kit would cause more confusion than anything when really there is no need to differentiate. Both should be avoided. What I can tell from the literature I have read, the ratio of one to another is not as drastic of a change with pH if you are comparing it the the change you see when dealing with ammonia.

Comment

Working...
                    X